Lounger
    Thanks

Open files on another PC (Excel 97 SR-2)

I would like to use VBA to open files on another PC across our NT 4 network. Does anyone know of a simple way to do this without setting up peer to peer networking?

Thanks - John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open files on another PC (Excel 97 SR-2)

If you already have an NT4 network, and both PC are attached to that network, then all that should be needed is for the PC containing the the file to share the folder containing the file. The other possibility is to put the file into a network server folder that is available to both systems.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Before we go any further let me state that I'm not that NT4 server friendly & I'm looking to make this happen without major account modifications. I would like to have access to the files on 10 networked PC's from 14 other networked PC's. Based on what VBA code the user is running, I would like to open the files on that particular remote PC.

In the current configuration the user copies their files (from 1 of the 10 PC's) to a network folder & then moves to another computer to access the files stored in that network directory. What I'm looking to do in my code is something like:

workbook.open "remote pc namedirectoryfilename" instead of workbook.open "servernamedirectoryfilename"

Since I don't see the remote PC's name in our current network tree can I do something like:

workbook.open "servernameremote pc namedirectoryfilename"

If not, do I need to reconfigure the remote PC's setup in the server so I can call it from code? If I understand your post correctly all I need to do is set up a shared folder on the remote PC and access it like this:

workbook.open "server nameshared directoryfilename"

John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This is really a NT/Network issue, not an Excel question. You would probably get a better answer in the NT forum

Again, I believe that all you need to do to accomplish what you described is to have the PCs that contain the file share the folder where the file is located. However, I don't know why you can't see those PCs in Network Neighborhood if they are connected to the network. You will probably have to get that answer from the network administrator. Sharing the folder probably will not work if the PCs are not visible.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

OK- I'll give a try there. Thanks for the help