Thanks

Question Action Center incorrect

Windows 8.1 is beginning to really p*ss me off. Kaspersky Internet Security is installed, set to Automatic and is running. Even shows in the tray. Yet Action Center says that Windows Defender is off. AND that Windows Firewall isn't on. Shows in Services that it's set to Automatic and IS running.

This machine came with Norton preinstalled. Each time I've done a Reset, I've used Norton's uninstaller (Ha! Still leaves stuff behind). After the last Reset, I uninstalled Norton and reinstalled KIS. Action Center was fine, reported no problems. This latest issue seems to have been a result of placing a Shortcut to a Scheduled Task in the Startup folder. KIS went a tad nuts upon reboot (checking if the shortcut would do what I wanted). I had 2 instances of KIS in the tray. So I went to the Startup folder and deleted the shortcut. Rebooted. KIS came up as it should, only 1 instance in the tray. That's when Action Center reported that Windows Defender is off and that Windows Firewall is off.

So, Action Center isn't seeing Kaspersky or the firewall. This morning I ran Regedit and searched for everything Norton in the registry. Found a few keys and deleted them. Rebooted. Action Center still reports the same.

Security.jpg
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-06-21 at 19:55.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just turn the message off.