2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 and Family settings

I have set up my old laptop for my daughter to use. It is a Windows 8.1 machine, and has my account set up, and I added a new account for my daughter. This required a new MS account to be created, and when it was created, I set it up using Family settings with her as a child (any myself and my wife as the parents - logical enough!).

The default settings permit everything to be done, but turn on the reporting to parents. This I am happy with - because I trust her, and know that she needs to learn the ways of the internet (she can teach me a thing or four!)

When I tried to set up Outlook for her account, I refused to download any mails. Is this part of the linkages with Office 365 suite, which is installed under my MS name / password? Why would I not be able to get access to e-mails?

Thanks in advance!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not a solution but a note that Outlook is part and parcel with Microsoft Office although Outlook is available as a stand-alone program. I use two methods in situations such as yours, one is to convince the parents to give the child a separate E-Mail Client such as Windows Live Mail or simply get another machine, usually go with the separate E-Mail Client since it's free. However, neither one will give the parents as much control.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What error is reported?
    Did you let Outlook auto-configure the account or did you do it?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips and responses....

I have managed to get this all up and running, the way I had hoped. I left it for a day, and tried again, and it all seems to work fine! The Outlook configuration simply worked this time, without trying anything fancy or special!

The nice part is that there are reports from MS Family that will show who she has sent mail to through Outlook!