Thread: Data Validation

New Lounger
    Thanks

Data Validation

I have file that I am working on and when I am using Data validation for my list I was wondering is it possible that everytime i click the drop down that it will show the first possible selection in my list? Ex: Say my list comprises of A,B,C,D,E,F,G to choose from. I select G from the dropdown, and if i come back and select that dropdown again it will only show G and it will cut off the letters above it(Lets say it wont show A,B,C). Is there a way for my data validation list to always start from the top of my selection list when i click the dropdown? even if letter G would be selected? I am thinking a formula may have to be added to revert the start of the selection to the top everytime, but not sure of what that would be or if its even possible. I can post an example like the one I have mentioned if needed. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If your list is only A-G it should behave that way. It behaves more as describe when you have more 8 entries. It will have the current entry selected and show 7 other items. If the G is at the end it will show it and the 7 previous. If there are < 7 entries after the selection it will show those later entries, the selection, and then the rest will items before the selection. If there are more than 7 entries after the selection the selection will be the top and the rest will be the next 7.

i do not believe it is possible with datavalidation to change this behavior. What you can do is delete the entry before select the pulldown and it will start at the top.

Steve