5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Patch Watch update: Hyperbole about an IE update

PATCH WATCH

Patch Watch update: Hyperbole about an IE update

By Susan Bradley

A article on Windows patching included the startling headline that Microsoft is restricting security patches for IE 11 on Windows 7. What particularly caught my eye was the report that Win7 users would not be receiving the June Internet Explorer patch in Windows Update.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/patch-watch-update-hyperbole-about-an-ie-update/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, the problem with IE11 Update 2957689 on my machine was that it stopped IE11 from downloading anything and everything. I could still download through Firefox and Chrome, but not IE11. I do have the 2929437 update from April installed. IE11 also had some issues with displaying some of the pages incorrectly. That was due to several changes made in the advanced attributes that I changed back. Seems as this consolidated update was not completely thought out.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question KB 2960358 v1.1 Should we install?

Hi Folks,

Susan or anybody else, did you get this: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/2960358
    Apparently it is a MANUAL update, in that it does not come through the Windows Update/WSUS systems. It appears to be critical to the TLS security certificate system. As you know we have had allot of confusion over that since HeartBleed??? What do you advise to do about this, I am running W 8.1.1 Pro???

Best Regards,

Crysta
    Last edited by PhotM; 2014-06-22 at 23:54. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Windows 8.1 update not effected.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Windows 8.1 update not effected.
    Hi Clint,

If you're replying to me? Microsoft has caused great confusion between what I call W 8.1.0 and W 8.1.1 Pro. I refer you to this:

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/2960358

which states about 3/4s the way down:

"Windows 8 (all editions) and Windows 8.1 (all editions)"

That tells me "Windows 8.1 Update is included and effected, however, you maybe right???? Because I am confused about most of what MS is doing these days. TRUST of MS and their Patches, well??? we will let that debate continue.....