New Lounger
    Thanks

MS Word- Can I find replace text items with Table item?

Hi, I am a novice user of Excel and Word. I created a document which has a lot of items in it which is pretty standardized. Instead of replacing a bunch of items each time, I created a table with the items (both in Excel and Word) that I would like the Word file to reference. Such that when I create a new file, I just update the parameters one time in the table and it auto fills in all of the items linked to that cell.

For example if I do a project that uses a Dewalt drill. In the text, I reference the Dewalt drill 10 times. Instead of replacing Dewalt Drill 10 times, I would like to map each instance to a table (Excel or within the word document) and specific cell. If on the next project I do the project with a Ryobi drill, all 10 cells update automatically. Now I actually have about 20 different items I would like to be referenced about 5-30 times each. So while this is a heavier upfront investment, I would prefer to be able to simply the process long term.

Thank you for your help in advance. I hope my explanation was adequate of what I am trying to accomplish.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are several possible ways to achieve this.

Personally I would do this by inserting Content Controls and linking them to a custom xml file. This is best done by using a third party tool - Word 2007 Content Control Toolkit do do the linking and embedding of the xml file.

Another option is to bookmark the first instances of each term and then use cross-references in each of the other locations.

The final option is to create a macro which does a series of find/replaces using a table as input.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    If you copy the source cell in Excel then, in Word, use paste special with the 'paste link' option, anytime you update the Excel data the corresponding Word content will be updated. You can paste the same link to multiple locations in the Word document.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    I agree with Andrew. Content Controls can do some pretty spiffy things. If you don't need the data in Excel for some other reason, CCs are worth exploring.

Best, Kim