New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows or Excel Problem?

We have 2 machines--nobrandname, running 98SE/4.10.222A running Excel 97 SR-1 and a Compaq Presario Internet PC running same Win version, but Excel 2000. We create an Excel spreadsheet on noname, save to c: drive, then save to new preformatted floppy. Put floppy in Compaq, launch Excel & file from Windows Explorer. Repeat process for 1 or 2 times using the same floppy, works fine.

Next time we try process with this floppy get message at Compaq saying file is read only or corrupted. Tried formatting disk at Compaq and take to noname, get same bad results. Then try formatting that same disk at noname and says unable to format media, disk could be write protected, bad, etc. If we grab a brand new, factory formatted disk from the box, all works great. Any ideas? Users threatening to put gun in the a: drive and pull trigger!

Thanks for your help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows or Excel Problem?

Sounds like the floppy got corrupted. This happens. Floppies are not that reliable--they get bent, dirt inside, react badly to heat, etc.. It sounds like your saying it's just one floppy & that it works OK with a new floppy. If it keeps happening to new floppies, either you got a bad batch or you've got a hardware problem with the A drive. Even if you're floppies are preformatted, you might try seeing what happens if you format the floppy first anyhow. It's fast in a DOS window, rather than using Windows.

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have anything definitive, just a couple of thoughts.

1- The floppy drive in the Compaq is going bad.

2- The user is doing something like removing the floppy while the file is open and letting someone else us it in another machine.

3- Where is the floppy being stored? On a shelf above the transformer in a flouresent light? Pinned to a file cabinet with a magnet? On top of the display?
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both for the reply to post. My first thought was prematurely pulling the disk out--watched the user finish the process--seemed okay. What bugs me so much about this is they can start with a fresh floppy, use the same one twice or so with this procedure, and then it starts to cause problems.

I know floppies are unreliable. I've suggested e-mailing the file to each other. One other thing--we're working on a construction site and the dirt is always flying--could be a buildup of dirt? A new floppy out of the box would be clean, then each subsequent time it's used it gets "ground in"? Does that sound realistic?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, dirt, particularly on the read/write head could be causing problems.
    Legare Coleman

ileacy

The other possibility is that one or both floppy drives are out of alignment. If one is off to the "left" and the other to the "right", then both will successfully read good, properly "centred" floppies, but, will have problems with disks written by each other.