New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 Dialog Box Parameters - Comprehensive Resource?

Hi Loungers!

I dabble in VBA and VB.net (Visual Basic Express 2010). I am trying to learn how to - or if I can - use code to invoke the EditLinks dialog box in Word 2010.

I managed to locate the list of parameters, but not how to use them or what values they accept.

I also know that I can use something called hidden dialogs, where code is used to set up the parameters and an execute command is used to update the related settings.

If you know where I can find this information, I would be grateful.

These links were the only ones I could find:
    Built-in Dialog Box Argument Lists (Word)
    How to Use Word Dialog Boxes in Hidden Mode
    Enumerations

Cheers,

Mitch

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    This MVP resource page might help.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-06-19 at 08:01.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Charles!

Thanks for your speedy response. I was excited to see the link to the wordbasic help file. Alas, that link is no longer any good.

Not to worry, I Googled and found another download from the same site. this one is Wrdbasic.exe, which is a setup file for the same resource.

Note to intrepid spelunkers - you will need a reader, since modern versions of Windows no longer support .hlp files.

So, again, thanks!

Cheers,

Mitch

[edit] WOW! I thought Word95 would have been outdated, but it seems EditLinks has been around at least that long. Here is the help file syntax:

EditLinks [.UpdateMode = number,] [.Locked = number,] [.SavePictureInDoc = number,] [.UpdateNow,] [.OpenSource,] [.KillLink,] .Link = text, .Application = text, .Item = text, .FileName = text

I don't want to be accused of copyright infringement, so I just posted that. The help file includes detailed explanations for each parameter.

You made my day, Charles
    Last edited by Anklebuster; 2014-06-19 at 08:59. Reason: Sharing good news

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note to intrepid spelunkers - you will need a reader, since modern versions of Windows no longer support .hlp files.
    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for supplying that link, Berton.

Update on question: I now understand the parameters and values for EditLinks. But as was mentioned in the WordBasic article (Charles' link), some dialogs just don't work programmatically. I don't see how to select all of the links to kill them in one go.

Cheers,

Mitch

Thanks
    Ctrl-6 will unlink any fields selected. If you record a macro doing this, you should get the command.

Take a look, also, at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for code manipulating fields. You can restrict such a procedure to a single type of field.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Charles,

You have the right idea. I did wind up recording a macro, but it was an external 3rd-party product.
    Word 2010 EditLinks dialog box gives a blank macro when recorded.

Still, your advice about WrdBasic has given me a valuable resource for other dialog boxes.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Mitch