New Lounger
    Thanks

windows date issue

Good da all,
    Recently Windows sent important updates that required a reboot of the my computer. I have Windows 7 with IE 11. Afterwards, I could connect to the 'net just fine but when I tried to open a browser, all I got was Windows Cannot Display the Web Page. I clicked the diagnose problem tab but Windows could not fix the issue. I had to go to a restore point to get it to work. Of course, Windows detected that my important updates were due and resent causing the same issue, making me have to go back to a restore point. Any idea what to do about this? I appreciate any advice. Oh, I am a "functional" user, not a guru. Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge,

Probably the recommended way would be to try and avoid installing the offending update. For that you would need to be able to identify it, first. One time consuming but safe strategy would be to add the updates one by one, check the outcome and proceed to other updates, if everything is ok, until you find the culprit. You can then configure Windows Update to hide it, at least until MS fixes the underlying issue.

You can apply variations of this strategy, maybe applying all updates that do not apply to IE and see how it goes.

HTH
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge,

Probably the recommended way would be to try and avoid installing the offending update. For that you would need to be able to identify it, first. One time consuming but safe strategy would be to add the updates one by one, check the outcome and proceed to other updates, if everything is ok, until you find the culprit. You can then configure Windows Update to hide it, at least until MS fixes the underlying issue.

You can apply variations of this strategy, maybe applying all updates that do not apply to IE and see how it goes.

HTH
    Thanks, Rui. I will have to give that a try, as nothing else seems to have an effect. I appreciate you getting back to me so fast. I wonder if I am not alone with this issue? The Microsoft site was no help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's surprising the number of people who report problems after WU that only affect individuals or just a minority - at least of those who know there are forums to come to.

Let all of the updates install again and then open a command prompt as an administrator by going Start - type cmd.exe - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then at the command prompt type netsh winsock reset catalog and press Enter.

Type exit and press Enter to close the Command window then reboot to see if that has resolved the problem.

I think it's best when possible to have all of the security updates and this may be a method where you can achieve that.

At least if it doesn't, by the time you read this you will know which update to uninstall
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-20 at 15:42.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgmike View Post
    Good da all,
    Recently Windows sent important updates that required a reboot of the my computer. I have Windows 7 with IE 11. Afterwards, I could connect to the 'net just fine but when I tried to open a browser, all I got was Windows Cannot Display the Web Page. I clicked the diagnose problem tab but Windows could not fix the issue. I had to go to a restore point to get it to work. Of course, Windows detected that my important updates were due and resent causing the same issue, making me have to go back to a restore point. Any idea what to do about this? I appreciate any advice. Oh, I am a "functional" user, not a guru. Thanks!
    I am wondering why your #1 post is titled "windows date issue"?

If your Windows is diaplaying wrong time/date in the notification area (far right of taskbar i.e. "clock" at lower right corner of your screen then it could be your computer's motherboard CMOS battery is dead. The CMOS battery is intended to allow the CMOS to retain BIOS settings between the times when your computer is connected to mains power. If your computer is getting a bit old, or has been unused for several months, then the CMOS battery could be flat or have otherwise failed.

Check your time/date settings and adjust them (within Windows) if they are wrong, then shut down your computer and turn off the power (if it is a laptop also remove the battery). Leave it sit for a few minutes then press the "power on button" six or eight times before reconnecting mains power/reinserting battery. If, after booting into Windows the time/date is again wrong then you need a new CMOS battery.