Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Can I use XP forever, if I'm careful?

l want to stay w/XP Pro Forever! l use Chrome, Avira av, SuperAntispyware, Spybot and Malwarebytes antimalware. And also use Works and Word. The av and antispyware programs are updated and used daily. This will be fine, right? l love my xp, and do not do anything to overwork the system, which is fine and if it works don't mess with it.....unless l'm forced to.....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    You will still get updates for two years. After that it's quite possible that you will have no issues for a long time. To make sure you have a robust system working for a long time, apply a good backup strategy, preferably using imaging, making sure you have multiple images that you can resort to, in case of need.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can use XP on that PC for as long as the PC lasts. You may encounter problems if you need to replace components such as motherboard, disk drives, optical drives, graphics card, or peripherals (printers, scanners, etc.) if device drivers are required. More and more vendors are not producing drivers for XP. You will most likely NOT be able to install XP on any new PC - same driver issue.

Joe

Thanks

Can l use XP forever, if precautions are used?

Quote Originally Posted by steveothehighlander View Post
    l want to stay w/XP Pro Forever! l use Chrome, Avira av, SuperAntispyware, Spybot and Malwarebytes antimalware. And also use Works and Word. The av and antispyware programs are updated and used daily. This will be fine, right? l love my xp, and do not do anything to overwork the system, which is fine and if it works don't mess with it.....unless l'm forced to.....
    I doubt it, anyway most people do not live that long and I have been told "Mac's Only" on the other side.

However if you can keep your hardware going you will likely be able to use Win XP for a very long time.
    I still have a computer that runs Windows 3.1 and DOS 5.0. Although I rarely use it any more, it's just for fun.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    We have a network which is not connected to the internet. I can run anything I want on that network, because I'm not concerned about security issues. For a long while, I ran Windows 2000. There was no need to upgrade to anything else, until I could no longer get video cards for Windows 2000 (AGP video architecture). At that point I upgraded to XP, but only because of the video card problem.

However, on the internet-connected network, I have nothing older than XP sp3, because I want to make sure that I keep getting patches and that my security software will continue to protect the computers.

When XP no longer can be adequately protected, I will go to what can be adequately protected (probably Windows 7).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    I doubt it, anyway most people do not live that long and I have been told "Mac's Only" on the other side.

However if you can keep your hardware going you will likely be able to use Win XP for a very long time.
    I still have a computer that runs Windows 3.1 and DOS 5.0. Although I rarely use it any more, it's just for fun.
    I still have a wind-up watch (remember those?). It keeps good time, so who cares? It works for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a lot of us in the world who are just like you ..... XP works just fine for our needs, and we don't visit places where we may become a target .... AND, our truly "unloseable" stuff is stored off the main machine, just in case!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Still run 2000 on wide open internet connection. Just know what I am doing, where I am going and Malwarebytes, etc. Have had many attempts at infection since I use Newsgroups et al a lot, but running a sandbox and knowing how these things work and how to defeat their installs so far has kept me in the race, so-to-speak.

Thanks
    Reputable AV/AS companies, will continue to release products that will be XP compatible, for some time to come, due to the HUGE XP base, worldwide.
    The new AVG 2013 FREE works great on my XP machine.

Cheers Mates!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I still have a laptop running Wn98! However, I use it only to play older, compatible 16-bit and 32-bit old favorite games, and NEVER connect it to the Internet!

My wife's desktop runs XP. For her uses, there's no reason to upgrade, especially as it'll still be supported through mid-2014 by MSFT, and there will be AV programs out there well beyond that to protect your system, which is the main need for running a safe OS with an Internet connection. You'll only need to upgrade when you want or need new hardware or software that won't run on XP because of the lack of XP drivers for it.

I would also advise that you get a hard copy of Win7, especially when it starts selling at closeout prices after October. I held off Win7 until I had to get it to avoid Win8 as my only option for the future- at least until that OS proves it's not a Vista redux. I had little complaint with WinXP, but I can tell you Win7 has a shallow learning curve, and runs WAY more stable- not a single crash yet! Support here lasts until 2020 and, if you need to give up WinXP for driver or other issues, you may want to go to Win7 instead of Win8. If you elect to do this, however, be sure to download Win7 drivers for your XP hardware ASAP. You'll find that the majority of XP hardware does have drivers for Win7, but be sure to graqb & copy them from the manufacturere's websites, as some may disappear by the time you may finally decide to go to Win7.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Comedian For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2012-09-27)

Thanks
    I think the underlying concern behind this great question is, 'How can I continue running all my favorite games & applications well into the future?' I feel the same way about Windows XP, but after considering it, much of those feelings are about being able to use the software I love or have spent years developing into an expert at using. The upgrade treadmill is one of those bizarre things that too few people question.

I tend to agree with some of the comments that with responsible use and good community support, WinXP will manage to stay alive well beyond 2014. However, there are always those unknown factors such as [mentioned] issues with hardware drivers, degradation of stability and/or vulnerability to future (as-yet-unwritten) exploits. Who knows, maybe Microsoft will figure out a way to legally or surreptitiously cripple WinXP at some future point? The natural reaction might be to look toward latter versions of Windows, but of course those aren't the only options.

In trying to think ahead on this very subject I've been watching closely the two most user-friendly Linux distributions: Ubuntu and Linux Mint. But the Operating System I'm most excited about is ReactOS. Why is that? According to the mission statement: “The main goal of the ReactOS project is to provide an operating system which is binary compatible with Windows. This will allow your Windows applications and drivers to run as they would on your Windows system. Additionally, the look and feel of the Windows operating system is used, such that people accustomed to the familiar user interface of Windows would find using ReactOS straightforward. The ultimate goal of ReactOS is to allow you to remove Windows and install ReactOS without the end-user noticing the change.”

Not directly associated with the project, nor have I tested it...but do have a partition reserved for just that purpose.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    However, on the internet-connected network, I have nothing older than XP sp3, because I want to make sure that I keep getting patches and that my security software will continue to protect the computers.

When XP no longer can be adequately protected, I will go to what can be adequately protected (probably Windows 7).
    That day will be early April 2014. And at that day you will likely not get any new systems with Windows 7 anymore, only Windows 8 or Apple Mac....

If you are serious and if your current hardware supports it go to Windows 7 now.
    Re. Current hardware: In my experience you want at least a dual core CPU with >= 2Ghz, 4GB of RAM (the faster the better) and a Micro$oft approved graphics card. If you updated from Win2k to XP your current hardware most likely will not do it, sorry.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i am still using two 98SE systems
    would be using a 95 if the battery could have been replaced on the mobo

i have 3 xppro systems and plan to run them as long as the hardware is alive

there will be problems with some web sites who use tricks that require newer software than xp can run
    so buy a cheap netbook or similar if you have to run a program to access those sites

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerUser View Post
    I think the underlying concern behind this great question is, 'How can I continue running all my favorite games & applications well into the future?' I feel the same way about Windows XP, but after considering it, much of those feelings are about being able to use the software I love or have spent years developing into an expert at using. The upgrade treadmill is one of those bizarre things that too few people question.

I tend to agree with some of the comments that with responsible use and good community support, WinXP will manage to stay alive well beyond 2014. However, there are always those unknown factors such as [mentioned] issues with hardware drivers, degradation of stability and/or vulnerability to future (as-yet-unwritten) exploits. Who knows, maybe Microsoft will figure out a way to legally or surreptitiously cripple WinXP at some future point? The natural reaction might be to look toward latter versions of Windows, but of course those aren't the only options.

In trying to think ahead on this very subject I've been watching closely the two most user-friendly Linux distributions: Ubuntu and Linux Mint. But the Operating System I'm most excited about is ReactOS. Why is that? According to the mission statement: “The main goal of the ReactOS project is to provide an operating system which is binary compatible with Windows. This will allow your Windows applications and drivers to run as they would on your Windows system. Additionally, the look and feel of the Windows operating system is used, such that people accustomed to the familiar user interface of Windows would find using ReactOS straightforward. The ultimate goal of ReactOS is to allow you to remove Windows and install ReactOS without the end-user noticing the change.”

Not directly associated with the project, nor have I tested it...but do have a partition reserved for just that purpose.
    ReactOS has a long history of infringement issues with Windows. This article from 2006 shows the problems (especially the Comments below the excerpt). Although these particular issues may have been resolved, Windows compatibility is about as spotty as WINE under Linux, and there is no reliable revenue stream to guarantee future development of ReactOS. Most tellingly, very few publications have paid much attention to ReactOS since around 20006, when Windows Vista was causing much the same issues as Windows 8 is causing people who haven't tried it yet today.

(More here (Section 2.2) on the History of the infringement issues with ReactOS, and the internal code audit from Wikipedia.)

I suspect ReactOS will go the way of IBM's OS/2, which was virtually abandoned after Microsoft Windows 95 took hold in the marketplace. Windows 8 or Windows 9 will probably lay to rest the issues which are putting people off from upgrading today, just as Windows 95 put to rest many of the concerns folks had about the future path of Microsoft development years ago.

We've seen niche OSes come and go over the years, and ReactOS is likely to become yet another niche OS. I wouldn't pin my PC's future on a niche OS -- especially not one with such a checkered history of possible infringement issues with Microsoft.

As for Windows XP antivirus, there is still ClamWin and Solo Antivirus, both of which still work with Windows 98 as well. Many others will undoubtedly service the Windows XP aftermarket as long as there is demand.

One fly in the ointment -- Windows XP uses an Activation Technology. It is therefore possible (though unlikely) that Microsoft could send a "Bullet" over the Internet to Windows XP and deactivate it. This would end its lifetime very quickly. But I don't think MS is interested in doing this. Not unless Windows 8 can't sell enough devices to break even -- also very unlikely.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-09-28 at 07:59.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast