Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    After almost nine years, of downloading, installing and uninstalling a g'zillion programs, my XP PC was really messed up.

Then it started dropping BSOD's randomly. I found out that the BSOD's were being caused by the bulging and leaking Capacitors on the mother-board.

Being a Board-Level electronics repair tech, I took out the mobo, ordered new caps from "badcaps(dot)net" and when they arrived I did the cap replacement.
    XP ran better with the repaired mobo, but I still wanted a Clean Install. I finally found my XP install disk, dusted it off, and proceeded to do a Fresh, Clean re-install of XP-Pro-SP3. (I had slipstreamed SP3 into the install, years ago)

After restoring my saved data files and reinstalling my most valuable programs, XP is running like a scalded dog.
    No more BSOD's, and no other misc. problems. I had turned off Auto Updates several years ago, when those updates were causing problems.
    So that's no longer an issue. I don't use I.E. and I run a comprehensive package of Security Software, so my PC runs fast and safe.

I guess that would have to be my own recommendation, to anyone with an old install of XP that's causing them problems.
    Forget all the scanners and Fixers, just re-install XP and be done with the problems.

Cheers Mates!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Speaking of Updates, my old hard drive needed them, but I did not install the LAST MSE Update. That is the one that gives us the red box Warning that XP has expired.

I just do a Custom Install to make sure I'm getting the right updates that I may need.

So far the old hard drive has worked fine for 6 days without a reboot.
    Last edited by burger2227; 2014-07-11 at 10:35.

Thanks
    Found a problem today with the Acronis Drive Monitor. When I clicked the taskbar icon to see the results the machine immediately went into a Memory Dump.

It did this twice. After the second try, I decided to remove Acronis all together! I swear that is a program made to sell new hard drives one way or the other.
    What else could explain my old drive testing good after I installed a new WD one?
    Last edited by burger2227; 2014-07-12 at 21:41.

Thanks
    Ran my old hard drive for a week 24 hours a day and it got kinda slow so I rebooted and everything worked fine!

I'm thinking that the Acronis Drive Monitor was actually scheduling a Check Disk on reboot and may have cause the Memory Dumps too!

Microsoft Security Essentials without the last Update from Windows Update installed can still be updated through the MSE program itself. The icon stays green and there is no End of XP Service Warning.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone have a link to where XP SP3 can 'still' be downloaded after a full format and clean install is done?
    In mourning for my Win XP Desktop while using a HP laptop Win8.1
    Some times I am confused an some times not.

Thanks
    You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

Don't be put off by the network installation nomenclature. The download contains SP 3 for all versions of XP. Note the requirements state that you need SP1 and SP2 installed first.

You should also be able to get it via Windows Update

Jerry

Thanks
    Time, and abuse, can turn any OS into a Monster.

I was given a perfectly good Laptop, because it was so slow as to be utterly painful to operate. This lady's friend told her that the motherboard was bad!
    Oh really?

Well after trying to clean it up for several hours, I finally just gave up, reformatted the HD and reinstalled XP-Pro-SP3. That little Lappy ran just great!
    There was NO hardware problem at all.
    Today the same little PC is running Windows 8.1 Ultimate/32. Still running great!

The root cause of the original problem was a user that did NO maintenance on her PC for several years, and had NO AV or AS software installed. That poor little PC was just so corrupted that it could barely even run. It's in Good Hands now and in spite of the fact that it's nine years old, it still runs great.

Cheers Mates!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Yes, Microsoft Update will supply you with updates to XP and MSE, just make sure not to install the last MSE update. Avoid KB2949787. Otherwise you will get the red MSE icon and the warning box every startup. If Windows Update offers updates, do them manually using the customize option. Unchecking an update hides it from later being added. You can update them later by going to the MU site and checking for all updates. Then look at the Hidden Updates to restore them.

MSE can still be updated in the application so far. I don't know if there may be other KB updates sent, but MSE will supposedly still be updated with new definitions which may also be done manually.
    Last edited by burger2227; 2014-07-19 at 10:36.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123