New Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox 30.0 redirecting website

I downloaded 30.0 and after looking at classified ads on RCUniverse it started redirecting me to what appeared to be another search engine type website. It also did the same thing on RCGroups classifieds. I tried using Glary, Malwarebite, Housecall and CCleaner, not necessarily in that order which other than the normal Glary cleaning I found nothing. Still had the problem after running all that and MSE. Restored WIN7 and problem was gone. Reloaded Firefox 30.0 direct from Mozilla and problem returned shortly. I originally loaded 30.0 from an update window. Did another restore and am running 29 or 28 without incident. Downloaded Opera and it runs faster, looks more crisp. I think Firefox will be eliminated for Opera

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Firefox has a built in tool to reset it to defaults, this should eliminate any redirecting.

Help > Troubleshooting information > Reset Firefox button.

There are also other tools you could have used Adwcleaner, JRT, also manual removal routines, should you have the expertise.

Just because a new install of Opera doesn't have the redirect doesn't mean that it's immune, had it been installed at the time of infection, it could easily have inherited the same issues.

System Restore only restores a limited set of files whilst removing others, it's not a complete cure for all problems, especially not those in 3rd party software.

Prevention is better than cure, I suggest you tighten up your security.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Opera is faster bringing up websites and does not lock up like I have had with
    firefox. Being less popular it has less hacker action. I have security running and only seen problems with Firefox. I also run Iron portable and IE without problems. Housecall, MSE, Malwarebites, Ccleaner and Adaware along with Adblock are also used.

Thanks
    "less hacker action" is more like luck of the draw, most web-based attacks are aimed at old or insecure browser plugins, like Java, Flash, Reader, etc. with browser specific exploits quite a long way down the list.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, as far I can see, one small arrow in a back and no other problems. Can I assume that it's safe to update to FF ver. 30? I'm holding off as I usually do.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    While I only use FF as a spare browser and have v30.0 I haven't had any problems when using it but you could install HitmanPro.alert which will safeguard for all browsers you use and also includes protection against Ransomware.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Options / Advanced / General then check 'Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page'
    When the website then try to redirect a bar appears at top of page and offers the chance to 'Allow'

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clean her up

What you describe definitely is NOT Firefox.
    I use it exclusively myself, almost all of my customers use it.
    If things like this happen it's ALWAYS some junky malware that got installed.
    Clean up? AdwCleaner, JRT and Malwarebytes (caution: In the last installer window UN-check the Trial version!).
    I'll bet you $50 that above trio will clean it up - unless your computer has a rootkit. For this I recommend TDSSKiller.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2014-06-26 at 06:41. Reason: Added remark about rootkit
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    Some cautions: ADWCleaner currently falsely flags some WinPatrol modifications as malware and JRT removes Windows Management (potentially useful for further troubleshooting) logs.