Another area to check for problems with waking from sleep/hibernation is in Device Manager settings for hardware components. Many components can be shut down to conserve battery power just by ticking a box in the Device Manager Properties for that component. These can be in conflict with a power configuration scheme at times. I make sure that nothing shuts down individually, and my laptops will go into hibernation (after a brief warning dialog) when the battery reaches 10%. I've only had that happen a couple of times, but it keeps me from losing any open work.

I have two Dell Latitude laptops, a D800 that's 11 years old and dual boots XP and Windows 7, and a 4 year old E5420 that dual boots Windows 7/8. Both are hibernating at present. The E5420 I use for work, which involves waking/hibernating 3 or 4 times daily. I use hibernate instead of sleep to conserve battery life, which is controlled by whether or not it's plugged into AC; sleep on AC, hibernate on battery. I've never had an issue with either. But then, the Latitude is not a consumer oriented laptop, it's a business model, built to order.

As for my desktop, I have most of my routine maintenance taken care of by Task Scheduler in the wee hours, so I never shut it down. The monitor will go black after 10 minutes of no use, but that's it.