Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Substitute for Secunia PSI?

Secunia still works on the laptop and my wife’s PC – both Win8.1.1 Pro, but for the last three weeks has failed on my Win 8.1.1 Basic with UEFI.

When I open Secunia it says “Last scan 29.05.2014, the programmes may be out of date, please scan”. When I try to do so, it shows ‘preparing to scan’ then nothing happens. It has been removed and reinstalled 4 or 5 times now, but always the same result, despite constantly increasing the length of time before giving up, culminating last night when I left it running all night.

It is clearly not going to run on my machine, so I hope to find a similar service elsewhere.
    TIA
    Last edited by georgelee; 2014-06-21 at 08:18. Reason: space between paragraphs

Thanks
    George,

I'm running Windows 8.1.1 with Secunia PSI 3.0.0.3019 on my Dell XPS 8700 w/UEFI & Secure Boot and it works just fine. Are you running the program as Administrator? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG,

I’m running Secunia 3.0.0.9016, but so is my wife, and she has no problems with it.

It’s possible to run as administrator by using the Secunia icon in Start/Programs rather than the task bar, PSI opens and after a pause of c 30 seconds the message about outdated software appears, I click scan now and it just shows preparing to scan as before. I have no idea whether it’s running as administrator, or whether UAC and the outdated software message have superseded that. But it does not scan.

I found a FAQ section on the website, but my settings match their requirements, so I am still looking for an app to carry out the same function as PSI.
    George

Thanks
    George,

Actually, I have prevented PSI from running at startup using SysInternals Autoruns. I have a Scheduled Task (no schedule just run on demand) that runs PSI as Administrator. I then call this task from a shortcut as follows:
    C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /TN "Secunia PSI as Admin"

Scheduled Task Setup:
    PSI1.JPG
    PSI2.JPG
    PSI3.JPG
    HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the assistance RG – or should it be Bruce? –but it hasn’t solved the problem, despite the learning curve in setting it up.

I have never used Task Scheduller, but Google led me to a Windows page, with instructions on how to do it in Win 7. Following the directions allowed me to set it up as per your screen prints. I didn’t have a clue as to how to set up the shortcut, but it was possible to start PSI from Task Scheduller itself. However, the result was the same as before – the usual warning about possible outdated software, the recommendation to scan and then just preparing to scan, until I closed after some 40 minutes.

Perhaps I should mention that for a couple of weeks now I have been getting periodic pop-ups asking me to check my internet connection, combined with a very slow connection at times during the day – by slow I mean at least 90 seconds to connect to a site. Getting the latest Test Match score involves logging on to the Daily Telegraph, selecting Sport, then Cricket, and finally Test Match, all of which takes 6 mins or more. I think this is probably due to the ISP, espec. as it is impossible to speak to anyone there without waiting for 15 – 20 mins.

As nobody has suggested a replacement for PSI I will have to make a note of any updates it comes up with on my wife’s PC and apply them manually to mine, until such time as Secunia brings out a new version. It’s unfortunate that I have far more programmes on my PC than my wife has on hers.

Thanks
    George,

Are you connecting via Wire or Wi-Fi? You may need to reset your TCP/IP stack or do some other network diagnostics to find the problem. HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,
    Many thanks for that. It looks as though you may have solved one problem that was really inconveniencing me, whilst the other remains unresolved.

I was desperately trying to post #5 before 10 pm, when my AV commences the daily scan and I watch the BBC news, but the Lounge didn’t want to accept it. Returning to the PC an hour or so later, after the news and my supper, I checked to see whether my posting had been accepted, and after a long wait to get through discovered that not only had it been accepted, but you had replied.

The Fixit in your link claimed to have solved the problem, but it hadn’t. I next turned to my ISP’s Assist app, which has often remedied problems with my wife’s WiFi connection, but it is not compatible with Win 8. I then ran the Fixit again, and this time it worked. Whereas the internet had been painfully slow immediately prior to the second Fixit attempt, it was back to normal speed, and is the same today.

However, it was fine yesterday morning, so I shouldn’t get too excited, but have high hopes that the issue is settled. I have bookmarked your reply for future reference.

Unfortunately, the issue with Secunia persists – I just hope that the next version will fix it. In reply to your question, it’s an Ethernet connection to the router, then normal phone line.
    George

Thanks
    This may sound a bit out of left field, but I had a problem with Secunia displaying the graphics in the dashboard.

I found that there was a connection between the security settings of Internet Explorer (Internet Options) and Secunia. When I put Secunia.com into the Trusted Sites category under the security tab, the graphics would display correctly. I suspect there was some specific setting in the Internet category that was causing the problem.

Recently, I again had a Secunia display problem on my Win 7 SP1 system. When I upgraded from IE 9 to IE 11 the problem went away.

So, George, you might check to see if the Internet Options settings on both your computers are the same. If you have not made too many settings adjustments, you could just try resetting to defaults to see if the problem clears up.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ JC Zorkoff. I don’t use IE, but comparing the internet settings for Firefox on my PC and my wife’s – a tedious process when they are not in the same room – they seem to be identical.

FF doesn’t have a Trusted Sites list, nor, as far as I could see, default settings for the browser. However, https://*secunia.com was one of the two Trusted Sites listed in IE, so presumably I put it there sometime.

But thanks for the suggestion.

@RG. Internet connections have been back to normal all day, so we can assume that the Fixit has sorted out the problem. Thanks again.
    George

Thanks
    George,

One other thing you can try is to load MozBackup on both of your machines.
    Take a backup of your Wife's FF settings then restore them to your computer (you might want to uncheck the bookmarks & history options). This will insure that your settings are the same and may or may not fix your problem with FF. You might also want to take a backup of your FF settings before applying your wife's to your machine JIC! HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Made the backups with Mozbackup, but something seems to be wrong on both PCs.

There are only two files in the folder with today’s date, one to uninstall and the other a system dll with a warning about changing it. The rest seem irrelevant to me, or ask what app to open with, and I have no idea.

I will not be available again until tomorrow, so a reply is not urgent.

George

Thanks
    George, I also do not use IE as my browser. The connection I was talking about was between the Internet Options (also accessible from Control Panel) and the Secunia program. There are some options which affect the functioning of Secunia. I found the hint a few years ago on the Secunia Forum and it corrected my problem.

I put the secunia.com site into the trusted category because I relaxed most of the restrictive options of that category.

PS I have both http://*.secunia.com and https://*.secunia,com as trusted sites (my only trusted sites).
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2014-06-25 at 13:00. Reason: Added PS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a look at Control Panel/Internet Options and changed the default home page from Dell to the one I use in FF, but when trying to enter http://*.secunia.com as a trusted site was informed only https sites accepted. https://*.secunia.com was already there, as previously stated.

Have now given up on Secunia with this PC, will just rely on noting anything it finds outdated on my wife’s desktop and the laptop. In regard to programmes not on the other machines, will just have to hope they will inform me when updates are available.

Thanks for the reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Why not try Belarc Advisor ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    File Hippo has it's own downloadable file updater ... which is the basis of that module in Glary Utilities .... filehippo.com/updatechecker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast