Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe Milouz Market from http://market.milouz.com could be used instead of PSI.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a good replacement for Secunia ver.3.
    Since I bought a completely new system W7 Prof 64-bit and using Secunia ver 3, I soon found problems with Secunia in that it hung on loading. It initially worked fine, scanning at startup each day, but after a couple of weeks it started hanging whilst loading. I could not get as far as the Dashboard. Eventually I uninstalled it, binned it, and downloaded a substitute that I had previously used for years without problems - Secunia ver. 2.0.0.4003. Now configured, up and running, no further problems. I concluded that Secunia v.3 may have had some issues with 64-bit systems.
    Last edited by Quadcore; 2014-06-26 at 07:32. Reason: typo in version no.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadcore View Post
    I found a good replacement for Secunia ver.3.
    Since I bought a completely new system W7 Prof 64-bit and using Secunia ver 3, I soon found problems with Secunia in that it hung on loading. It initially worked fine, scanning at startup each day, but after a couple of weeks it started hanging whilst loading. I could not get as far as the Dashboard. Eventually I uninstalled it, binned it, and downloaded a substitute that I had previously used for years without problems - Secunia ver. 2.0.0.4003. Now configured, up and running, no further problems. I concluded that Secunia v.3 may have had some issues with 64-bit systems.
    Thanks to Google I found Secunia v2, which is not offered on the secunia site. However, it no longer works, maybe because my PC is 64 bit. Three attempts to scan have each aborted after 12 seconds.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can download past iterations of PSI here:
    http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/
    I switched back to version 2.0.0.4003 shortly after updating to version 3 which I disliked.
    It still works perfectly on my Win 7 64-bit but have not tried in Win 8.1.
    Last edited by PHreD; 2014-06-26 at 11:06.

Thanks
    I am using Secunia 2.0.0.3001 on Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 and Win 8.1 Pro x64 with Update (i.e. 8.1.1) both with IE 11 and it works without problems.

I also dislike Secunia version 3 and switched back to version 2.

Georgelee, you did not notice to uncheck "Require server verification (https: ) for all sites in this zone" under the site list for trusted sites. That allows the http://*.secunia.com to be entered.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Secunia PSI almost from the time it was first developed. I have v.2 installed on an old XP desktop and on a WIN 7 Ult x64 laptop; they both work fine. However, when I bought my WIN 8 laptop, I installed v.3. It often hangs when loading, just as described in the original post, but there appears to be no pattern to its misbehavior; sometimes it loads and sometimes it doesn't.

Actually, I prefer v.2 to v.3, also. Sooner or later I just might switch the WIN 8.1 laptop back to v.2. It provides more information and seems much less prone to hang than the newer version.

I recommend the original poster work with v.2 to resolve his issues.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    Georgelee, you did not notice to uncheck "Require server verification (https: ) for all sites in this zone" under the site list for trusted sites. That allows the http://*.secunia.com to be entered.
    I admit that I missed that, http://*.secunia.com is now listed in Trusted Sites, but the only difference seems to be that scans now abort after 7 seconds instead of 11 or 12 previously. There is clearly something else blocking Secunia, as versions 2 and 3 now fail on this PC, but being unlikely to find it, an alternative solution is required.

Thanks
    You could try File Hippo Update Checker - http://filehippo.com/updatechecker

Personally, I tired of Secunia's false positives long ago and I stopped using any update checkers other than Microsoft and the built in checkers for software like Java, Flash, and Malwarebytes.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacktomcat View Post
    Maybe Milouz Market from http://market.milouz.com could be used instead of PSI.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I’m using it as a temporary measure, although not very impressed.

Listing dozens of programmes which are not installed on my PC is just an irritating time waster, but it only lists 16 that I do have, compared with 70 + with Secunia, when it used to work. Of the 6 programmes listed as OOD, two I updated manually, but the other 4 all said they were already up to date, despite Milouz quoting a higher version number than I have installed.

Is it possible that VLC, Last Pass, Auslogics and VirtualBox use different version numbers for 32 and 64 bit, and Milouz is looking for 64 bit versions that being the bittiness of the PC, whereas these apps may be 32 bit?

PS. I discovered Milouz downloading something called NVDA, presumably malware, and certainly not something I asked for. Managed to stop it, will uninstall Milouz in the morning and try File Hippo, although I believe that is a dodgy site.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2014-06-27 at 18:01. Reason: Added PS

New Lounger
    Thanks

About Milouz Market

Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I’m using it as a temporary measure, although not very impressed.

Listing dozens of programmes which are not installed on my PC is just an irritating time waster, but it only lists 16 that I do have, compared with 70 + with Secunia, when it used to work. Of the 6 programmes listed as OOD, two I updated manually, but the other 4 all said they were already up to date, despite Milouz quoting a higher version number than I have installed.

Is it possible that VLC, Last Pass, Auslogics and VirtualBox use different version numbers for 32 and 64 bit, and Milouz is looking for 64 bit versions that being the bittiness of the PC, whereas these apps may be 32 bit?

PS. I discovered Milouz downloading something called NVDA, presumably malware, and certainly not something I asked for. Managed to stop it, will uninstall Milouz in the morning and try File Hippo, although I believe that is a dodgy site.
    Hi,

I am the developer of Milouz Market and I am sorry to read that you encounter some issues with it. I will respond to each point below:

-Our database contains the top 200 freeware, and we add new ones very regularly. We also take suggestion from users very seriously, so if you want to propose some, don't hesitate.
    -A new version has been release yesterday with the possibility to filter only the software installed on your computer.

About the version, it is possible that the 32bits one is not the same than the 64bits one. For example VLC is currently available in 2.1.3 in 32bits but 2.1.4 in 64bits. So if your computer is 64bits, Milouz Market will update software to the 64bits version. I will add to the TODO list an option to keep the 32bits version.

About NVDA, it is not a malware, it is an other software in our database for blind people. I think, what happens is that because the blinking of the display, you may click on the wrong line.

An other thing is : Milouz Market has been made at first for my own use (I am administrator system) to help employees to install software without any crapware, so if Milouz Market added some other malware, it won't be very logical.

To finish, thank for your remarks, it will help me to improve the software

Regard,

Milouz

Thanks
    I looked through the Secunia forum and found a reference to the required settings for Control Panel -> Internet Options at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_sca...ersonal/faq#s1

This is a good part of it's contents:

===================================
    To function correctly the Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers. If you experience any issues where the Secunia PSI cannot complete scanning or where the interface will not load and show you the detected programs, then please do the following.

* Open the control panel.
    * Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click Network and Internet to access the Internet Options.
    * Select the Internet zone and click Custom Level.
    * In Security Settings, go to the Scripting > Active Scripting option.
    * Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
    * Click OK then Yes.
    * Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites zone and click Sites.
    * Type in the following and click Add to add it to the Trusted Sites list: https://*.secunia.com.
    * Click Close then OK.
    * Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.

Please note that some Internet Security Suites (Kaspersky Internet Security is currently an example) have their own settings for trusted sites. In case you are using such a program, you need to allow “https://*.secunia.com” as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer. If you experience any difficulty doing this, please contact the vendor of the program.

If you are still having problems with the Secunia PSI, the services on which the Secunia PSI depends may have been disabled. To verify that they are running, type “Administrative tools” in the start menu search bar or open Administrative tools from the Control Panel.

Now click the Services tool and verify that the “Secunia PSI Agent” is listed and has its “Startup type” set to “Automatic”.
    ===============================================

Also, in the Secunia forums, searching for "Internet Options" or "Internet Explorer" will show that several users have had problems with Secunia hanging during startup, scans or program updates.

It is clear that Secunia is closely tied to Internet Explorer, whether it is the default browser or not.

I hope this helps Georgelee get his Secunia PSI working.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thibaut Milouz View Post
    Hi,

I am the developer of Milouz Market and I am sorry to read that you encounter some issues with it. I will respond to each point below:

-A new version has been release yesterday with the possibility to filter only the software installed on your computer.Milouz
    Thanks for the info. I may reinstall it, if the details in #26 do not solve the Secunia problem. Especially if, as your reply seems to suggest, it would update VLC from 32 to 64 bit. I am somewhat surprised that it installed the 32 bit version on a 64 bit system if it is available in both forms.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2014-06-28 at 15:09. Reason: Added 2 sentences.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried installing/running an earlier version of Secunia [just Google 'old version Secunia'] if you think it is, or might be, a program jinx?

I use to use Secunia until I tried the freebie Driver Booster [http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php] which essentially does all that Secunia did. The free version takes much more time to run than the paid version but .....it's free & works fine. ;>}

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Avast Free AV has a software updater, though it does try to slip in some PUPs depending on the software being updated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlockz View Post
    Have you tried installing/running an earlier version of Secunia [just Google 'old version Secunia'] if you think it is, or might be, a program jinx?

I use to use Secunia until I tried the freebie Driver Booster [http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php] which essentially does all that Secunia did. The free version takes much more time to run than the paid version but .....it's free & works fine. ;>}
    I had a look at this, but apparently it only updates drivers, which are usually best left alone unless one has problems with a specific application. It does not appear to me to compare with Secunia PSI, but thanks for the suggestion.

You will see from earlier posts I have now installed Secunia v 2, but it still doesn't scan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast