5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Disk analysis recommendation

Windows (Vista) Explorer's disk usage bar is now red, which I infer is not good. I have an old version of DiskData that tells me my ContentIE5 folder is the primary culprit. Trying some suggestions, it came out only marginally smaller. I wonder if DiskData is accurate. I like its visual presentation and am asking for a second such program to validate my DiskData results. And a suggestion on how to clear that folder, altho that really belongs in another Forum, I know. TYIA!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    TreeSize free is my favourite space checker.

The contents of that folder are controlled by Internet Explorer. You need to empty the IE cache, or close IE and clean out the directory manually.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My favorite tool for figuring out what's eating disk space is SpaceSniffer. It's got a beautiful graphical display of nested boxes that lets you zero in on which folders look too large relative to everything else. It's freeware, with a stand-alone exe (no installation required).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It might just be me, but when I clicked on the SpaceSniffer link above M_Bytes blocked linking to it as a malicious site. YMMV.

Dick

Thanks
    I second SpaceSniffer, the site listed by dg1261 is good.

CCleaner or privacy mantra will clear the internet cache folders.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like the (free) Folder Size from MindGems (I think there is another program with the same name).

If you catch it in time (about 5-1/2 hours left at 9:30 PM EDT June 23), you can download MiniTool Partition Wizard Professional Edition from GiveawayoftheDay. It is principally a partitioning tool, which you may want anyway to adjust partition sizes, but it can perform a surface scan for you to see if you have any bad sectors.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2014-06-23 at 21:50.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    TreeSize free is my favourite space checker.

The contents of that folder are controlled by Internet Explorer. You need to empty the IE cache, or close IE and clean out the directory manually.

cheers, Paul
    Add me to the list of happy users of TreeSize Free. It lets you add its start command to the right-click menu in folders, for easy and quick access.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmlou View Post
    Add me to the list of happy users of TreeSize Free. It lets you add its start command to the right-click menu in folders, for easy and quick access.
    All right, I'm converted to TreeSize along with the many. I note that you can put it on a stick and thereby have it in your set of portable tools.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Content.IE5 is usually Temporary Internet Files, which means if you open your browser, got to Tools-->Options and delete temporary files--don't be surprised if it appears to freeze and takes a long time to complete!--this may fix the problem. Once done, while you are there you can change the maximum temporary file size to 50MB and IE will run just fine (temp file size is not related to things you do like downloading, it's just about all the files that make up the structure of a web page you are viewing).

The Windows Disk Cleanup utility can also do this.

Windows 7 and above are better about preventing this, but on Vista I have seen Temporary Internet Files balloon up to many GB in size and eat up the disk. I hope this helps, and after you DO clear up the space, be sure and defragment to get some performance back too.

Good luck!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I note that you can put it on a stick and thereby have it in your set of portable tools.
    Treesize Free is available as a component of both PortableApps and Liberkey. Its portable use has a large following.
    Michael