Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not an expert on this, but I know if you suddenly lose power while the computer is booting it's bad news. I'm thinking the battery had just enough power to begin the boot before dying. Several years ago, my daughter's desktop computer died when a power outage occurred while booting. I was told the boot sector of the hard drive was corrupted, or some such. I got a new hard drive and re-installed XP. Just a thought.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Shop already replaced it...I had them "recycle" it because apparently I'm evil if I merely throw it in the trash. In any case, I installed Win 7 from my install disk that came with the computer. When it was done, I booted it and it would not connect to the netword thru ethernet. When I looked in Device Mgr I saw that there was no device driver for that. When I put in the device driver disk that came with the computer in it had no drivers for that....and it said I should go to the internet for them. Hello?!? If it won't connect I can't go to what it won't connect to.
    It's back at the shop. I have no patience for this bull****. They are going to get it ready for me to reinstall Office, etc. I used to enjoy this stuff (been messing with computers since Apple II days) but I just don't have patience for this nonsense anymore. Life's too damn busy. It's already going to take hours to get it back to where it was without these senseless obstacles. My next fear is that the 1080p display won't do that anymore. But once I can get on the net I can do to Dell and look for drivers. That no net thing was sort of a showstopper.
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions but THE DISK IS GONE at this point.
    Tnx agn.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I know what you mean about needing to find drivers when you have no internet connection. I used to find drivers on another computer and load them on a USB drive, then transfer them to the un-connected one, but I came up with a better method. I bought a decent USB Wireless adapter, which comes with it's own install CD. That gets any computer I've tried it on connected, and quickly. After I'm all set with all my drivers, I can un-install the USB adapter.
    Last edited by rje49; 2014-06-27 at 19:30.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rje49 View Post
    I know what you mean about needing to find drivers when you have no internet connection. I used to find drivers on another computer and load them on a USB drive, then transfer them to the un-connected one, but I came up with a better method. I bought a decent USB Wireless adapter, which comes with it's own install CD. That gets any computer I've tried it on connected, and quickly. After I'm all set with all my drivers, I can un-install the USB adapter.
    Great idea! That's going to be the next item I add to my toolbox.

.../Glitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12