Thread: USB versioning

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question USB versioning

I have a device and custom software from a vendor. Plug it in to a Win 8.1 machine and it works. Plug it in to a Win 7 machine, and the software hangs. A little sleuthing reveals that Win 7 has USB driver version 6.1 and the Win 8 machine has version 6.3. Duh -- version of USB driver explains a lot. However:
    - Win7 driver update check says everything is up to date
    - even with administrative privileges, I can't rename the old driver files to copy over the newer driver files
    - the device uses USB 3.0, and it IS connected to a USB 3.0 port on the Win 7 machine
    - Microsoft help desk says that Win 7 should accept the USB V6.3 driver files.

So I think the question is: how do I get permission to rename the old files (always give yourself a way back, Mr. Peabody)? However, I'm quite willing to believe that alternative questions such as: why doesn't Win7 realize there are newer drivers? or Since I have the updated files on a thumb drive, how can I force an update? may be appropriate.

Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    why doesn't Win7 realize there are newer drivers?
    Could it be the maker of the motherboard or computer has updated drivers? Drivers offered by Windows may not always be the best for a particular implementation of hardware, I avoid them when I can get drivers from the makers' site unless there is no other choice [mostly with older printers].

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll have a look. But suppose they don't? There's still the 6.1 vs. 6.3 issue, where Microsoft support says that Win7 is compatible with 6.3, but it's not clear how to force Win7 to swallow it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the device have a proper support site where you can see the drivers to manually download and as to which OS(s) they apply to ?

Have you tried right clicking on the device in Devices and Printers/Troubleshoot and see if Windows will find drivers that will work for it - or doesn't its icon show up ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are two levels of drivers. One is for the proprietary peripheral and one for the USB. Per Berton's suggestion, I went to my computer vendor's site and found updated USB 3.0 drivers (which I'll install in the AM). The peripheral's drivers I don't think are the problem. When a 2006 vintage driver fails on Win7 and a 2009 driver works on Win8, there's a clue that in 2014 you've found a plausible problem! I may take you up on the right click/devices idea; I've only looked under Devices under System so far.