New Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to load Vista

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. My Laptop became corrupted and would not boot so I decided to load Vista onto it. I put my Vista disc into the Laptop but found the disc drive would not load the disc, it just sat after the bit about which country I was in. Anyway, I decided to try loading via a USB, so I made a Bootable USB stick then copied Vista onto it by loading it into the disc drive on my other pc. Now, when I put the USB stick into the Laptop the screen just says FreeCom version 0.84. FreeDos Display ver 0.13, Buffers Allocated: 001 in TPA, 000 in XMS, FreeDos Keyb 2.01, Keyboard Layout : \locale\keyboard.sys:uk [858] (3). Then it has a line that says A:\>_ and the _ is flashing. What should I type in there to get it to access the USB stick or maybe it already has?

Many Thanks

Stephen

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest you make a full backup of your disk before you attempt to reload any OS. You can make a Linux boot CD to access your disk and copy files etc.
    http://www.livecdlist.com/clonezilla

What OS did you have on your laptop?
    What is corrupt? If it's a virus then a new OS may not be sufficient.
    How did you make the bootable USB? Rufus will do the job without any mucking about.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Can you elaborate more on that "corruption"?

Check your HD for errors, run checkdisk with the "R" switch from the command prompt of your installation disk, or recovery USB.
    Try Pau's suggestion of the Linux disk to see if you can recover valuable data first too.

Was that "Vista load" an attempt at a clean install by booting to the Vista DVD?

I would not be concerned with a virus when it comes to a clean install, instead, failure of this nature
    tends to point to hard disk drive failure, or even memory...maybe. The checkdisk may shed some light on any potential issues.
    You may also run a memory test with memtest86. Pay close attention to the type of errors you get with either diagnostic.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My old system was XP and it just hung on start-up. Tried going back to a stable version but to no avail. I had everything backed up so I decided that a clean install was best and as I had a spare copy of Vista, I decided to go with that. To be honest, I am not 100% sure that I did make a bootable USB. I will try cleaning the USB Stick again, use Rufus and then copy the Disk again. It only takes an hour or so.

The installation disc does not work on the laptop. I think I have a fault with the disc reader. That is why I am trying to load from a USB stick.

Thanks

Stephen

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Vista is on a DVD, so CD rom won't read it.
    Maybe use an external DVD drive to load Vista.
    or downlaod new windows from microsoft, and try that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Grandpa88, good spot there. Using my other PC I would like to load Vista onto a USB stick and boot from there. Does anyone know anywhere with easy instructions on how to make a USB bootable and then how to load the Vista DVD onto it? When I tried Rufus it asks me getting create a bootable USB using FreeDos, MS-DOS, ISO IMIAGE, or DD Image and I have no idea what to choose. I thought I just copied the disc straight onto the USB but obviously not. Advice please

Stephen

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can create an ISO image from your DVD by using ISO Recorder or CDBurnerXP.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the advice. I will give it a go this weekend and I will let you know how I go.

Stephen