New Lounger
    Thanks

Need to reset default program for .bat files

Yikes! Just spaced out and changed program association for .bat files (in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations) and now can't launch batch scripts. It originally showed Current Default as "Unknown application" so I have no idea what launched it.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? TIA, Stephanie

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing launched .bat files, they are used to launch programs from the Command line [Command Prompt] window. They are simple text files saved as .bat format, can be created/edited in Notepad.
    http://www.vectorsite.net/tsbatch.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Nothing launched .bat files, they are used to launch programs from the Command line [Command Prompt] window. They are simple text files saved as .bat format, can be created/edited in Notepad.
    http://www.vectorsite.net/tsbatch.html
    Thanks Berton. Guess I wasn't clear. When you double-click a .bat, it "launches" (runs) the batch script. My change caused the double-click to open the file in my editor instead of running the commands. Anyway, I posted prematurely. A search showed I needed to change the registry to get back to normal behavior, as explained here:
    http://superuser.com/questions/53948...as-executables

Whew! fixed now.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Remembering back to my DOS days, when I had a .bat file as desired I would use a small program called BAT2EXEC to convert/compile the .bat file as an .exe/executable file, difficult for others to change. Don't know it that is still available but may be something on the 'net

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Remembering back to my DOS days, when I had a .bat file as desired I would use a small program called BAT2EXEC to convert/compile the .bat file as an .exe/executable file, difficult for others to change. Don't know it that is still available but may be something on the 'net
    Google "bat2exec" and you will get several sources...

Thanks
    In my experience, bat2exe never worked properly, except for the simplest BATch files.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Reverting to a previous restore point may fix it, otherwise try this thread.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...w7itprogeneral

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I don't remember the version of DOS (it was around the time of Windows 3) there was "Exe2bin", a native DOS compiler that would turn a batch file into an executable. I wrote a batch file to move files from one directory to another (not just copy, but copy to the new and erase from the old) and compiled it using Exe2bin after a few test runs as a batch file. It worked great, and speeded up the process as well.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I just checked my MS-DOS disks and the last version I have with exe2bin is 5.0, does not appear on disks for MS-DOS 6, 6.2, 6.21 or 6.22 [the last].

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Download and then merge the .reg file in the bat file section at Restore Default Windows 7 File Extension Type Associations.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjoy View Post
    Yikes! Just spaced out and changed program association for .bat files (in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations) and now can't launch batch scripts. It originally showed Current Default as "Unknown application" so I have no idea what launched it.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? TIA, Stephanie
    Batch files (.bat) should run via cmd.exe (built in Windows command processor). However, you might need to right-click the .bat file and click (left) "Run as Administrator" for it to work in Win7.