Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProHandyman View Post
    First question I will ask: Why are you using a Socket 775 motherboard and CPU today, we are talking hardware that are years old? Now that being said:

Yes, your Q6600 will work on all BIOSes on the board, I would highly recommend you verify that it is running the 1.40 BIOS version due to it's many "fixes" that include all previous updates. On power up, are you getting any "beeps" from the speaker (if you have one), and if so, is there any "code" being sounded? No video could be a bad board, bad cpu, or bad/incompatible memory (did you check the compatibility list?). If speaker hooked up and no beep code, generally it's the CPU (you didn't bend any pins on installation, did you?). Sometimes just removing the CMOS battery and using the CMOS Clear jumper for 60 seconds will be enough to kick the BIOS POST so you can get into the BIOS and at least try saving the recommended configuration. You should first try POSTing the board outside of the case with no other hardware connected so as to rule out any electrical shorts or other device failures on installation.

As far as Windows 7 x64, it and the CPU will run 32bit code natively, so there should be no issues installing and running MOST 32bit software. When installing, you can right click the install program, and choose to install it in compatibility mode for Windows XP with administrative privileges if it won't install using normal methods. I always recommend 64bit OSes when available, and a minimum of 4GBs of RAM, 8GBs preferred. Sixty-four bit CPUs and OSes also have better execution code halts if some nefarious malware that uses certain types of "buffer over runs" to attack your computer.
    ProHandyman;
    Thanks for the detailed reply.
    Yes I know 775 socket stuff is kind of passe these days, but I just figured I would try messing around with a fun upgrade to the old system, just to see what I could make out of it.
    The ASRock board is brand new and has bios 1.40D on the sticker on the bios chip.
    No speaker in the system so no beeps on bootup.
    The Q6600 cpu works fine with the old Intel DG965-OT board, both before and after trying the ASRock board.No bent pins I could see.
    The memory compatibility list shows only combinations of 2 GB DDR3 sticks, but I want to run 8 gb for future upgrade to W7 x 64 bit reasons, so I bought new G. Slick DDr3 ram 1333 MHz speed, 2 x 4 gb sticks. The G. Skill item no. is F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT.
    The ASRock board specs say it will support up to 8 gb dual channel DDR3 unbufferred, non-ECC.

The board is back at the supplier now and they will test it and replace it if defective, or send it back if it check out OK.
    Regardless I will try POSTing it bare bones as you suggest when I get it back.
    If no go, I will try some DDR2 memory sticks to see if the G. Slick DDR3 memory is the problem.
    I appreciate your comments on 64 bit OS's.

Regards,
    rstew

New Lounger
    Thanks
    rstew:

I dug into your mother boards manual to see if I could ascertain a possible problem, and I DID in fact find an issue that could prevent POST. There could very well be a memory incompatibility issue due to your CPU running at a 1066 bus speed and your chosen memory DDR3 1333. Normally the memory would run at the lower speed, but that depends on the SPD programming on the memory board itself. You may be better off with this GSkill memory module set (the ONLY 2x4GB DDR3 1066 set listed) GSkill 2 x 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProHandyman View Post
    rstew:

I dug into your mother boards manual to see if I could ascertain a possible problem, and I DID in fact find an issue that could prevent POST. There could very well be a memory incompatibility issue due to your CPU running at a 1066 bus speed and your chosen memory DDR3 1333. Normally the memory would run at the lower speed, but that depends on the SPD programming on the memory board itself. You may be better off with this GSkill memory module set (the ONLY 2x4GB DDR3 1066 set listed) GSkill 2 x 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM.
    Good catch pro handyman!
    I had no idea this memory might not run at the lower speed.
    I wanted 1333 MHz memory so that I can run 1333 fsb speed for future CPU experimentation.
    I have now picked up a Xeon X5450 CPU (1333 MHz) which I guess I will try when the mobo gets back.
    So if I understand this right, if the installed CPU and ram have miss-matched speeds, the bios may just lock up during Post, and the party is over?

rstew

Thanks
    It depends on what all softwares do you use. Specifically office 2007is compatible with windows. Moreover all the 32 bits softwares will run on 64bits platform but vice versa is not possible. And if you are changing the hardware then I would suggest go for windows 7 64 bits version. There are more features which make the operating system much more fast and user friendly. Even if few software's are not compatible with windows 7 you can still run those software in compatibility mode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    rstew, I double checked the cpu listing on Asrock's website, and even though your xeon may be socket compatible, there is no guarantee that the required microcode contained in the BIOS will recognize the cpu. If it does NOT, then obviously you are going to have a "no POST" issue again.

As far as the memory, most memory will "down clock". but again, it can be a crap shoot... I've seen stranger things happen! I would highly suggest your look around and scavage, or buy a case/mobo speaker so that it can help aid you in diagnosing what is going on with your setup.

I have been an enthusiast since the 486 days where you would be soldering different components onto the motherboard for overclocking, to my current I7 -3960X Extreme Edition work station (let's just say I went crazy and have more then $4k into it). I am semi-pro "modder", A+ & N+ certified, and also a MS OEM Partner and build custom PCs for clients. Keep us posted and I will try to help trouble shoot the best I can, but it would help tremendously if you can get one of those little speakers.

Thanks
    Pretty sure that XEON is Socket 771, requiring a pin mod/adapter to enable it's use in a S775 'board.

If I had to upgrade any Gateway, a good PSU would be my first acquisition.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow
    The Xeon is a socket 771 CPU. I have the conversion sticker, and doing the conversion does not worry me at all.
    The reason I got interested in the ASRock mobo is because it supports significant over clocking, as well as either ddr2 or ddr3 memory, and it has 4 expansion slots including a pci x 16 slot for a separate video card. It's a pretty versatile board and the price is right. It is sort of appealing if you are any kind of at tweaker at all!
    Prohandyman
    I really appreciate your many suggestions.
    I will try to scare up a speaker to help with debugging.
    Once I get the mobo back I will be back at it and I will post my progress, or lack thereof!

Many thanks,
    rstew

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Pretty sure that XEON is Socket 771, requiring a pin mod/adapter to enable it's use in a S775 'board.

If I had to upgrade any Gateway, a good PSU would be my first acquisition.
    Satrow,
    I assume PSU refers to power supply?
    The original is only a meager 300 watt unit, so it might be a little light.
    I have a couple of bigger power supplies sitting around so I will swap.
    Appreciate the suggestion.

rstew

Thanks
    Yes, PSU = Power Supply Unit. 'Good' referring to quality (and age, or lack of), rather than price or any other factor.

300W would be enough for a non-overclocked CPU and a low range (up to ~100W TDP) GPU but you've already mentioned the likelihood of overclocking and possibly adding a GPU so 450W would give you the headroom for an o/c plus a 150-175W TDP GPU - providing you don't pack every drive channel, RAM slot, PCI slot as well

Don't forget to check measurements, PSU's vary in size (it is ATX, not SFX/TFX in a smaller SFF case?) and required connections.

Seasonic/XFX would be the obvious choice if you needed to buy, other makers have much more variation across their ranges, even within specific model revisions, meaning a lot of homework to pick out the good from the not so good/downright poor models.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want a good tutorial on Switching Power Supplies, take a look at this:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...r-Supplies/181

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-07-16),wavy (2014-07-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    If you want a good tutorial on Switching Power Supplies, take a look at this:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...r-Supplies/181
    Prescott; thanks for the link. Very good information there.

Cheers,
    rstew

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123