Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vista 32 bit SP2 Install DVD?

I am planning to do an upgrade soon from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7.
    Just in case it does not go well, I would like to have a DVD that would allow me to re-install Vista with SP2 up to date.
    The computer is a Gateway that had Vista pre-installed. I have the product key and 3 system CD's that I recently made for crash recovery, just following Gateway's utility intended for that purpose.
    Would re-installing Vista from these CD's get me to a workable installation with SP2?
    If not, are there any other options I could use?

Thanks in advance,
    rstew

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Make an image with a 3rd party tool like Macrium or Acronis.

Run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor first and formost, I doubt you'll have any issues with a Windows 7 install, but the upgrade advisor
    is a good as any way to help ensure that W7 is compatible before you take the plunge.

As far as the 3 recovery disks you've made, well, we'll need a little more info on exactly what they are comprised of.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    @CLint - It sounds as if they are the same type of media recovery disks that Toshiba allow you to make just one copy of and will be a copy of what is in the D: Recovery partition and would factory reset the machine - along with all of the bloatware.

@rstew - CLiNT's advice to create a system image would enable you to restore the computer back to the way you have it now and is a much more practical fall back, but having used the Recovery disks if needed, you could then restore with the system image - which is what I had to do once because of other problems.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Make an image with a 3rd party tool like Macrium or Acronis.

Run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor first and formost, I doubt you'll have any issues with a Windows 7 install, but the upgrade advisor
    is a good as any way to help ensure that W7 is compatible before you take the plunge.

As far as the 3 recovery disks you've made, well, we'll need a little more info on exactly what they are comprised of.
    CLiNT;
    I did run the windows 7 upgrade 32 bit advisor a short while ago, and it indicated only a couple of minor driver upgrade issues to deal with.
    I will likely run it again using w7 64bit test and see what that shows. I am considering going 64 bit.

I beleive the recovery disks are a mirror of the D: partition recovery drive, as Sudo15 thought. It sounds like they would take me back to the initial installation of Vista, without SP1and SP2; though I am sure it could be upgraded to current standards easily enough.

I'll investigate the imaging software that you have suggested. Thanks!

rstew

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just thought I would post a follow up.
    Whilst looking for another cd I stumbled across the original Gateway Vista re-installation disc!
    So it's here if needed.
    It would still be nice to have a disc with an up to date version with all SP's and patches, so I will maybe see about imaging that all onto a cd.
    With a utility like Macrium can you selectively image only the OS?

rstew