5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Spreadsheet "locked for editing..."

The last few times I have tried to re-open a spreadsheet that I built and saved, I get two message boxes. One says that PERSONAL.XLSB is locked for editing...and the other says that the spreadsheet itself "is locked for editing by Ron..." They give me choices to Cancel, Open a copy, etc...

My question is why is this happening - I don't lock anything when I close a spreadsheet - so why am I getting this message? Thanks in advance for any help or insight that anyone would care to share.

Ron M

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Excel thinks you have the file open, probably post crash. Make sure no other copies of Excel are running - use Task Manager - then open a copy and save over the top of the original.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Excel thinks you have the file open, probably post crash. Make sure no other copies of Excel are running - use Task Manager - then open a copy and save over the top of the original.

cheers, Paul
    Paul, thanks for the ideas, however, there has been no crash and no other copy of Excel is running. This happens even if I open Excel after I do my daily boot-up. Any more thoughts on this.

Ron M

Thanks
    You could make sure there are no temp versions of the of the files in the folders with those files: Typically the name of the file prefaced with a tilde and dollar sign (eg ~$personal.xlsb or ~$thatfilename.xlsx). Delete those temp files.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Personal" is a hidden workbook that is used to store your macros. It's typically ran in the background and most people never see it. I only came across it when a similar issue came up with one of my employees that was using Macros. My number one "fix" was to restart the PC. I have no clue what caused it, but a good ole restart was a good band-aide.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As mentioned "Excel thinks you have the file open"
    Also Is there a macro in use that affects another file?
    Do you use the spreadsheet on a USB flash drive and/or another computer sometime?

"This happens even if I open Excel after I do my daily boot-up"
    Consider creating a new Excel spreadsheet and deleting the locked one
    --- I know this doesn't provide an answer but you shouldn't be stuck in a locked document if it works

On time one of my friends had the same problem with a Word document
    --- Upon further investigation he had that same document on another computer (not shared)
    --- Maybe he had removed the flash drive too soon
    --- Anyway I created a new Word document, copied the information from the locked document into the new Word document
    --- Afterward I deleted the locked Word document and he was all set after that

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One method on some of these problems in many apps is to:
    Open a copy.
    Cut and paste it to a new document.
    Save it under a new name(work or tempo)
    Delete the old one.
    Rename it.
    Many times it is faster than trying to second guess MS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If, on the off chance, you have a Word document open that is calling that spreadsheet (e.g., for a mail merge), even if you close and reopen the Excel spreadsheet you will get the "locked for editing" message because Word still has an open hook to it.

May be totally irrelevant, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

Carol

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Download OpenedFilesView from Nirsoft, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html , run it, and look for your spreadsheet file name in the list of files. If found, it will say what program has the file open. It's a useful utility to have anyway.

Thanks
    As mentioned, a temp file for your workbook may not have been cleaned up properly. You can use Windows Disk Cleanup but you may have better results using a gold standard CCleaner (free) from Piroform

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Folks, thanks for all the suggestions. The easiest seems to be what Philomel has suggested, to open a new file, copy the old one, save it under a new name and delete the old one and then rename the new one. This works, but it still does not answer the question of why this happens in the first place.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "The easiest seems to be what Philomel has suggested"
    --- That is true
    "This works, but it still does not answer the question of why this happens in the first place."
    --- That's exactly how I felt when I fixed my friends Word document
    --- I did ask a few questions in post 6
    --- I would have been happy to move on from those questions even if they didn't apply