New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation How to get rid of pesky pop-up!

I have a Word 2013 document that, when it opens, there is a small but annoying pop-up that asks for a input. If I press 'cancel' it goes away and everything is fine. But I would prefer that it never opened in the first place.

So, I opened Macro Manager and there are no macros in Normal.dot, Global or in the specific Word document.

I then looked for AutoOpen and AutoExec and can find nothing. However, if I start Word with a /m on the command line, I do not get the pop up - but I still cannot find the source as I would prefer to get rid of the problem rather than just preventing it operating.

So, i opened the document (cancelled the pop-up), selected all the text. Closed Word and reopened it, created a new document, pasted back in the text and saved it as a rtf.

I then closed and opened Word and opened the new rtf document. There was no pop-up. But I need this document as a Word template - so I saved it as a Word template, closed and reopened and the pop-up is back again! Aaaargh!

I have deleted my normal.dot several times and am utterly stumped.

I opened VBE when the document was open and, again, there is nothing that looks like a pop-up.

Does any one have any ideas.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, I have also checked the various Add-Ins and I can't find anything
    The thing I find strangest is that I don't get the pop-up when it is saved as rtf but if I resave that rtf as a doctor, the pop-up reappears!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you create the file or receive it from someone? Do you get the same thing if saving as a .docx file? Could be the older .doc format can't handle newer formatting. Several file formats have changed beginning with Office 2007 but some of the applications can use the older 97-2003 types.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I received the file from a client. She runs Word 2013 on W8.1. I took. A copy and opened it on my W8.1 Update box using Word 2010.

Did I say .doc format? I didn't mean to.

But it is not really a formatting issue, rather that there appears to be a hidden function or macro that I cannot find. It also seems to be embedded somehow into the document as it seems to be able to survive rtf conversion!

R

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just tried it all over again on a different W7 laptop with Word 2010. I opened an rtf version and there was no pop-up.

When I saved it as a template and reopened it, the pop-up reappeared!

This is driving me mad! I just don't understand it.

R

Thanks
    With a copy of the document open press Alt+F9. This displays field codes.

I suspect ASK or FILLIN fields. With codes displayed, search for fillin. If you find such a field that looks related to the prompt you are getting, delete it. If you don't find one, search for the ASK field. To do that, you may want to include the field character in your find box. Search for ^dASK and ^d ASK.

Once you are done searching, remember to toggle display of field codes back off.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Solved

Many thanks! That worked perfectly.

Now why didn't I think of that!

R