New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 index corrupted, unfixable

The index in my Win 7 is apparently corrupted so that the majority of file names are lost or changed, and searches do not find them. I have tried rebuilding the index, checking the indexed locations, relocating the folder where the index is stored, running the search and indexing troubleshooter (Microsoft Fixit), all without apparent effect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This sounds more like disk corruption or malware. Are you able to view the files in Windows Explorer and do they have the correct names? If not you have a major problem with your data on disk and need to check that you have a recent backup before it goes completely pear shaped - you should have a recent backup anyway.
    You can also view the file names in a Command Prompt using the "dir" command to rule out strange behaviour in Windows Explorer.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. Windows explorer works just fine; I see the files and can open them, move, rename, copy or delete. When I tried the dir command on the run prompt I got the message that Windows could not find it. I have never seen that happen before. Do these provide any hint as to my problem's solution? Yes, I do have a current backup via Carbonite.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When you used the Command Prompt did you change to the correct directory?
    cd %USERPROFILE%\Documents
    dir

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alan vill View Post
    When I tried the dir command on the run prompt I got the message that Windows could not find it. I have never seen that happen before.
    Don't run DIR from the run prompt. Run CMD from the run prompt. That will open a new "Command Prompt" window in which you can run the DIR command.