Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    iNET Interactive
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    672
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 63 Times in 50 Posts

    Summertime, and the patching's (relatively) easy




    PATCH WATCH

    Summertime, and the patching's (relatively) easy


    By Susan Bradley

    The 'Softies who labor mightily over Windows and Office fixes must be out at the local pubs watching the World Cup soccer matches in Brazil. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad, but it does gives us an opportunity to quickly catch up on past updates — and then get out and enjoy a bit of summer.

    The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/summertime-and-the-patchings-relatively-easy/ (opens in a new window/tab).

    Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-06-25 at 18:12.

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. #2
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Thanks for all your research, Susan

    I've noticed something new recently. On a Win7 64 box, the last 2 times I've had an update for Win Defender, it's failed. (today and 2 days ago) When I try to reapply it, it says it's not needed. The first of the 1.177 series went in but not the 2 since. Looking back I had a single fail on May 17 but the next update was successful.

    As this needs to be updating properly, are you seeing this elsewhere or does it suggest I have a problem install?

  4. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm a big fan of Susan's column, and always consult it before installing updates. That said, I'm a bit confused that four Security Updates issued on June 10 have not been mentioned in the three articles published since then (June 12, 19 & 26). There are two for Windows 7 (2957503 & 29575409) and two for Office 2007 (2878233 & 2881069). Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks --

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,719
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 334 Times in 303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brint.Keyes View Post
    I'm a big fan of Susan's column, and always consult it before installing updates. That said, I'm a bit confused that four Security Updates issued on June 10 have not been mentioned in the three articles published since then (June 12, 19 & 26). There are two for Windows 7 (2957503 & 29575409) and two for Office 2007 (2878233 & 2881069). Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks --
    They are all part of MS14-036 mentioned on June 12:

    > What to do: See MS14-036 for the full list of patches. It’s likely there will be active attacks within the next 30 days, so install those offered as soon as possible.

    Bruce

  6. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,374
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 594 Times in 531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    Thanks for all your research, Susan

    I've noticed something new recently. On a Win7 64 box, the last 2 times I've had an update for Win Defender, it's failed. (today and 2 days ago) When I try to reapply it, it says it's not needed. The first of the 1.177 series went in but not the 2 since. Looking back I had a single fail on May 17 but the next update was successful.

    As this needs to be updating properly, are you seeing this elsewhere or does it suggest I have a problem install?
    Windows Defender definitions are updated automatically regardless of your Windows Update settings as long as the Windows Update service is not disabled. You just happened to catch Windows Update in the process.

    Joe

  7. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks, Bruce - very helpful.

  8. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kerhonkson, NY
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bruce, 2957503 and 2957509 are both part of MS14-036 and are not cited by Susan. Any ideas? /* Philip */

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,719
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 334 Times in 303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirgilDog View Post
    Bruce, 2957503 and 2957509 are both part of MS14-036 and are not cited by Susan. Any ideas? /* Philip */
    Susan's advice, as quoted above, is to install them as soon as possible.

    Bruce

  10. #9
    3 Star Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    248
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    DavidFB
    I am probably not the only one that finds it irritating that Sue does not actually list all the KBs in her Patch Watch, seems like it would be a simple thing to do. But Since I am still running XP I have nothing to worry about now


    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •