Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    @BernieC the satellite services are much better than dial-up. I was happy to get rid of mine when a wireless provider finally put in a tower that reaches my house but before that I was very happy to get off dialup and onto the satellite service.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the "cursor alignment" problem that Google docs has.

My girlfriend recently finished her masters and I had suggested that she do her writing on G Docs because then she could work at whatever computer she was sitting in front of.

Little did I know that when you have a longish document, your cursor starts getting out of sync with the spot where letters actually appear when you type. It would get so bad for her that the cursor would be flashing several words away from the actual insertion point.

Apparently both our children experience this as well while doing school papers.

As far as I am concerned this makes Google Docs completely unusable.

I was thinking of having her try Zoho office or Microsoft's version...but haven't gotten around to testing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody, I have been using MS Word since you wrote Enveloper. One of Word's greatest features is Outlining. That single feature has kept me and many others from doing much with Google's Doc alternative. There has been a steady flow of requests for Google to add the functionality but clearly they either pay no attention or believe no one writes a document longer than a single page. In the interim Workflowy is an absolutely amazing cloud Outliner that I recommend to everyone, but it is Not a tool for writing documents. It concerns me that Word Online also lacks this feature and I certainly hope that Microsoft doesn't totally abandon the desktop. If that should happen I will abandon Office 365 and go back to Word 2010 or maybe even Word 97!

I have found Google Sheets to be a credible spreadsheet and an amazing tool for collaboration.

P.S. I don't know if you recall but you actually published your phone number with Enveloper and I spoke to you once regarding some sort of issue I was having. Now that was truly customer service:-)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is not the forum to discuss satellite, but saying it is "better than dialup" is about the most you *can* say about it. If you calculate it out against your throughput cap, you'll find that its long-term allowed-speed is about 50K. And while its burst speed is good, there are the delays to deal with. I tried using IMAP over the sat and went back to my local-email client right away... it was pretty awful.

And that's why I was asking: when you're using one of these "cloud-based" apps, what kind of delay do you get? As it stands now, when I double-click on a word doc, Word fires up in about two seconds. How much data/how many transfers have to happen for that to complete when Word isn't on my C: drive but is off in the cloud? And if I edit the doc again, will whatever got accessed the first time be cached or will it be downloaded again.

These are considerations that people with multi-meg broadband connnections never have to think about. [and I'm still not clear if the doc exists on *MY* hard drive [and _only_ on my hard drive] or if I have to trust my document security to the cloud provider.]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieC View Post
    [and I'm still not clear if the doc exists on *MY* hard drive [and _only_ on my hard drive] or if I have to trust my document security to the cloud provider.]
    It only exists locally if you install the app on your computer to synchronise it down. Otherwise it is the other way around. It is always in the cloud. Even if you synchronise it, the Google doc, for example, contains nothing more than a URL. The actual content is stored ONLY in the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieC View Post
    [it was pretty awful]
    Clearly we had different experiences with the satellite service - I'm sorry it was so bad for you.

Jim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the review Woody. Would you please also review the Mail and Calendar components? I still use the Windows MS Outlook client on my computer, and I would like to move away from it, because it's always such a pain to set it up when I visit friends' houses, and have to set it up to send emails through their broadband. I would still want to synchronize the Calendar to my iPhone, which I currently do through iTunes. Office Online ought to solve my problem of sending emails at friends' houses, but does it permit custom folders, the ability to set auto-archive preferences for each folder, and will I be able to synch it all to my phone pretty much as I do now? Thanks in advance.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Google has Pivot Tables

This part of the review may need some updating:

Both Excel Online and Google Spreadsheet support an astonishing array of spreadsheet features. Unless you have a crying need for pivot charts and tables — available only with Excel Online — the list of features supported by one app and not the other will be important only to those who have some specific spreadsheet requirements.

I have been a user of Google Spreadsheets for a number of years and can attest it supports Pivot Tables. As to Pivot Charts, i don't think there is a native function for this, but in reading the review, my understanding was that Google Spreadsheets was thought not to have both.

AEG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12