3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Troubleshoot a video problem

Last week my friends Windows 7 computer had some video problems where the screen would lighten up but eventually recover so he could continue to use it
    --- His on-board display adapter is an NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
    --- Checking for a driver update reported the latest driver was installed

So the next day I saw what happening
    --- I have an older graphics card that I installed to see the effects
    --- The video was ok but I wanted my card back and figured we could research a decent video card for his computer
    --- After starting the computer back up with my older graphics card removed, the computer reported it found new hardware and proceeded to install the latest driver and the computer went back to running excellently again

So that brought up a couple of questions I'd like to ask especially since I'm not a hardware person
    --- In Device Manager I saw 2 other options that maybe I could have considered
    ------ Disable the selected device
    ------ Uninstall the driver (Advanced)
    --- It looks to me like I could have chosen either one of those options if I knew what I was doing
    It appears to me I should have uninstalled the driver, shut down the computer, start it back up and let the driver be installed but what kind of advanced questions would I have had to deal with?
    ------ I wouldn't want to make matters worse by answering advanced questions wrong
    On disabling the selected device, I imagine that would apply if I were installing a video card that would stay in place and replace the on-board display adapter

I would like to add in that after the above fix happened my friend had a power glitch before his video issue showed up which I didn't know about
    --- So I suppose that the display adapter was affected by that power glitch?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The event viewer would be a good place to start.
    It's always nice to have an error message associated with a vague description (the screen would lighten up but eventually recover) of an occurrence.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint. You are right; going to Event Viewer should have been my first item to check out