Thanks

What is this error?

When I try to send / receive in Outlook 2010 to Exchange 2013, I get the error "error: 0x8004010F The operation failed. An object cannot be found."

What does this mean and how can I fix it? My ISP told me I should upgrade to Outlook 2013, but the Exchange 2013 facts from MS say that 2010 should work just fine.

What causes it, and how might I fix it? When I did try Outlook 2013, I did get the same error...maybe not as often, not sure, but I did get it.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hey Chuck, see if this MS Article helps.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Krithika, I had a couple of problems following that link:

1) The "Bypass proxy server" is grayed out...I don't know of a proxy server that I am using, then if I select

"Use a proxy server" in order to gain access to "Advanced" and click it, I do not know the FQDN of the Exchange server.

Sigh
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks
    But if the profile is the problem, Joe, wouldn't the error happen all the time? I just received notice of your post through the same profile.

And also, if this is an Exchange account, are they talking about the local file in my profile? If so, then the file location pulled from the Outlook account info would be

C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ cwbillow@componentics.com - cwbillow@componentics.com.ost

?

And that name brings me back to the other question I had when first setting up the Exchange account:

Why the repitition of the email name like that in the file name?

Also, it talks about (in the "fix") about setting up an IMAP or pop account. But the account I am dealing with is an Exchange account, so will these instruction still work and hold?

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2014-08-02 at 21:44.

Thanks
    Also Joe, I just noticed that when I go to retrieve mail (F9 - all accounts) it appears to be doubling up on the Exchange account -- note the two series for "Comp - CWBillow Exchange."

It shouldn't be doing that, should it? There's only one account with that name listed in the "Account Settings."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    An email profile is not just the PST or OST file. It is registry settings about the email accounts. The PST or OST file just contains data. See Outlook e-mail profiles explained for an overview of Outlook 2003. Outlook 2010 & 2013 should be substantially the same when it comes to the general information about a profile.

Joe

Thanks
    As it turns out, the ISP (1and1) was having Exchange problems, and they still are working on them.

Chuck