Thread: SSDs & Indexing

Star Lounger
    Thanks

SSDs & Indexing

It seems that SSDs' life span is deleteriously affected by handling lots of small files and so there are many recommendations about cutting down that risk of early failure. One of the items recommended is to stop indexing. I have a new SSD and I did root out all indexing by WIN7 63 PRO. But I now find that I cannot make a full computer search (three HDs and another SSD). I really need to weigh the pluses and minuses here because I really do like to make searches across all the storage devices. What say the readership?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about the impact of indexing on SSDs. I have it enabled on my Win 8.1 SSD laptop and also run Everything Search which has its own index. I;m not positive but I believe that indexing writes only runs on the delta from the last time it was run, not the whole disk. Reads don't have an appreciable effect on SSD life.

Jerry

Thanks
    A few years back the advice to turn indexing off on an SSD was sensible, but with the improvements to SSD's and their controllers, that advice has/is becoming more obsolete.
    You're more likely to have some other failure regarding an SSD than you ever are to "wear it out" with reads and writes. (average user)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.