New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy computer starts up but goes to dark screen , not blue. works in safe mode

my daughters Lenovo 7 starts up then hangs. desk top was loading but after starting it up a few times it just shows a dark screen. It starts in safe mode and I ran malware bites and found nothing. I really don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    When did this start? Was this a result of a Windows update, an application being installed or something similar?

Do you have System Restore active?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Try the Clean Boot diagnostic procedure:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As it will boot up into Safe Mode, select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Startup Repair.

It's advocated that you run this up to 3 times and it will tell you if it can auto repair and what it finds/has found.

Thanks
    First and foremost try doing a System Restore.

Did you install any new hardware? If so the drivers may be corrupt. Try uninstalling the hardware in Safe Mode and restart the PC again.

Or press F8 when the computer boots and choose Last Known Good Configuration.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ginny36 View Post
    my daughters Lenovo 7 starts up then hangs. desk top was loading but after starting it up a few times it just shows a dark screen. It starts in safe mode and I ran malware bites and found nothing. I really don't know what to do. Any thoughts?
    I am a professional computer consultant/technician.

In my experience this behaviour is most often caused by filesystem data corruption, so you should check this before trying any more radical fixes.

In Safe Mode, click the Start button, enter "cmd" in the "Search" box. A "cmd" result should appear at the head of the list. Right-click the "cmd" result, then click (left) on "Run As Administrator"; this should load a command prompt window. In the command prompt window type "chkdsk c: /r" (without the quotes) then press Enter.

Windows will almost certainly ask for the computer to be restarted - go ahead and do so.

You should next see a black screen with white writing saying that "Windows is checking your filesystem for errors" (or similar); just let it go ahead, it will restart, hopefully into Windows' Normal Mode once the repair scan finishes.

If the computer does not boot into Normal Mode after the chkdsk scan, then the problem is more involved. You could then try booting from your Windows installation DVD and running "Startup Repair"; if you don't know how to do this, post back for instructions.