Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB vs. Built-In Wi-Fi Adapters

My current laptop has an old built-in 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi adapter.

Let's say that I have an 802.11ac router and want to purchase this Wi-Fi adapter for my laptop:
    http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBAC56/

I am not sure whether the two Wi-Fi adapters (i.e. built-in 802.11 b/g/n and USB 802.11ac) could coexist in the same laptop. So I downloaded and read and read the USB-AC56 Quick Start Guide, but the guide does not say if two Wi-Fi adapters can coexist.

If two Wi-Fi adapters are present, does it mean that in the Windows taskbar there will be two Wi-Fi icons -- one for each adapter??

The part that confuses me is how do I tell Windows which Wi-Fi adapter to use if the laptop has two of them?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Turn off the built in Wi Fi adapter via a switch if you have one (check your owners manual) or disable it in Device Manager.

Jerry

Thanks
    TB,

You can enable/disable network adapters easily via the "Network & Sharing Center" by selecting the "Change Adapter Settings" option on the left side of the window. Or you can use the PowerShell Script found here in post #8 to do the same. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks

What's this?
    Well, it's my Acer One Netbook, with a Dynamode, 11N-150, USB adapter and 9DB gain antenna.

As was already said, I just disabled the internal WiFi gizmo that only runs in G mode and enabled the external WiFi Adapter.
    I like to make desktop shortcuts to both adapters, so I can enable or disable them at will, from those shortcuts.

Of course, using the external WiFi device with a high gain antenna can GREATLY extend your WiFi range.
    I've taken this little guy over 500' from my house, where I couldn't even see my house, and still connect to my Intellinet 300N WiFi router.

It's amazing what you can do with just a little bit of hardware.

Cheers Mates, and Happy Computing!
    Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!