Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB vs. Built-In Wi-Fi Adapters

My current laptop has an old built-in 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi adapter.

Let's say that I have an 802.11ac router and want to purchase this Wi-Fi adapter for my laptop:
    http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBAC56/

I am not sure whether the two Wi-Fi adapters (i.e. built-in 802.11 b/g/n and USB 802.11ac) could coexist in the same laptop. So I downloaded and read and read the USB-AC56 Quick Start Guide, but the guide does not say if two Wi-Fi adapters can coexist.

If two Wi-Fi adapters are present, does it mean that in the Windows taskbar there will be two Wi-Fi icons -- one for each adapter??

The part that confuses me is how do I tell Windows which Wi-Fi adapter to use if the laptop has two of them?

Thanks
    Turn off the built in Wi Fi adapter via a switch if you have one (check your owners manual) or disable it in Device Manager.

Jerry

Thanks
    TB,

You can enable/disable network adapters easily via the "Network & Sharing Center" by selecting the "Change Adapter Settings" option on the left side of the window. Or you can use the PowerShell Script found here in post #8 to do the same. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks

What's this?
    Well, it's my Acer One Netbook, with a Dynamode, 11N-150, USB adapter and 9DB gain antenna.

As was already said, I just disabled the internal WiFi gizmo that only runs in G mode and enabled the external WiFi Adapter.
    I like to make desktop shortcuts to both adapters, so I can enable or disable them at will, from those shortcuts.

Of course, using the external WiFi device with a high gain antenna can GREATLY extend your WiFi range.
    I've taken this little guy over 500' from my house, where I couldn't even see my house, and still connect to my Intellinet 300N WiFi router.

It's amazing what you can do with just a little bit of hardware.

Cheers Mates, and Happy Computing!
    Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!