3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend HP mouse?

The MS Intellipoint mouse I have been using for years is acting up. These have been discontinued and the only place I can find them is from China. I found an HP 5 button scroll mouse for half the price of the MS one. One of the features of the MS mouse that I really like is called "Snap to" and automatically moves the mouse pointer to the active button.

My fears were that if I bought the HP mouse that it would not have this feature so I am wondering if anyone might have an HP mouse and could confirm that this feature is included in the drivers.

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    What is the model number of your current mouse? Microsoft has a 5 button mouse you can see at Comfort Mouse 4500.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know about Windows 8.x but Microsoft's built-in standard mouse driver for Windows 7 and Windows XP both show the "Snap To" option on the "Pointer Options" tab of "Mouse Properties" (in "Control Panel > Mouse"). I guess don't use any HP driver.

Hope this helps...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    "Snap to" is a standard Windows (XP/7/8) option and should work with any mouse: Change mouse settings

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all of the quick replies. The mouse I am using is an Intellimouse 1.1A. The 4500 MS mouse looks interesting, but a fair number of low reviews on Amazon. I think I might try one of the HPmice.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    As said before, this is a software Pointer Option, NOT a Mouse Hardware feature.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a Wacom tablet on an empty stomach and have a Logitech coffee with Minnie Mouse.

There are so many devices on the market that the possibilities are endless. I have here an HP Wi-Fi mobile mouse that has at least seven manual inputs: left and right side panels, left and right top panels, wheel rotate and wheel press, and 2D mouse travel. It is useless. Why? Because I was too thick to know that there is a secret compartment inside the thing to store the USB antenna, which I lost in no time flat. If you get a wireless mouse, be sure you keep track of that antenna. (I also have a Logitech Wireless Touchpad, which is one device that appears to have no on-board storage for the antenna.)

Desktop and laptop users may have different preferences. I find that with my laptop I like the very small (and inexpensive) wireless mouse. With the desktop, I just use the HP standard no-frills mouse. I admit that I have never managed to learn to properly use a touchpad, when every other laptop user in the universe appears to use nothing but.

If you want another input device to play with, as seems likely, you might enjoy a Wacom tablet, which is the sort of thing you didn’t know you needed until you tried it. If you do look at one, check the bundled software, as it is sometimes worth the price of admission if you don’t already have it.

Edited to add that the news (in terms of frustration) gets worse. Thanks to two long-forgotten tiny carets on the top, I have been reminded that my mouse has at least nine manual inputs, because the wheel also tilts to the left and to the right. All of that potential in my hand, and the missing tiny item from the set renders the whole thing useless.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2014-07-04 at 15:48.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you done a thorough online search for a replacement antenna? I have seen them for sale for $5 or so...