Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Start-Up Problem

Would be interested in any reasons as to why this problem occurs and why my work-around works.

Windows 8.1 very high end PC with all the bells and whistles (specs below and note now Win8.1). Just under 2 years old runs totally trouble free and never a BSOD. Unfortunately the local Computer shop I bought it from (Auckland New Zealand) has gone out of business, so I have no redress back there.

I switch my computer off at night using correct Shutdown. When I press the case button in the morning nothing happens (no start-up). If I do nothing and leave it without pressing the start button, it may start on its own 10+ minutes later. If I pull the power cord at the back, wait 5+ minutes it starts straight away.

If after shutting down at night, I pull the power cord and then reconnect the next morning, it always starts at first push of the button. But I need to do this every day. However, if I go away on holiday, for say a week and leave the power cord pulled, after starting and normal shutdown, then next 5-7 days it will start normally (without removing power cord). After roughly 5 days, when I push the power button, there is a small fraction of a second delay before lights come on. The next day (again without pulling the power cord) that delay will be a fraction longer and then by the 3rd day it will not start and I need to temporarily pull the cord.

I have tried disabling FAST STARTUP, doesn't do anything. I have tried shutting down with SHUTDOWN.EXE and still doesn't correct this fault.

Specs as follows:

Intel LGA1150 Core i7 4770K, 4 Cores, 3.5GHz, 8MB
    Cache Processor
    ASUS Z87-PLUS LGA1150, Intel X87, ATX
    Motherboard
    Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 16GB Beast Edition 1
    ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 DirectCU II Overclocked
    2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card
    Intel DC S3500 Series 480GB Solid State Drive 1
    ASUS BC-12D1ST PRO 12x Blu-ray Reader /
    DVD-Writer Combo Drive
    Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W Power Supply
    Unit
    NZXT Phantom 820 Enthusiast Full ATX Tower
    (GunMetal)
    Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit OEM 1
    ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 DirectCU II Overclocked
    2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card
    Western Digital 3.5" Black SATA3 3TB 64MB Cache
    Hard Disk
    Corsair H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU
    Cooler Intel/AMD

The Case manufacturer has sent me a whole new switch, that I haven't installed, as the symptoms and solution are probably not switch related.

I don't think it is the Power supply and I am stumped as to what to do. Obviously, I can leave the computer on 24/7 but I would like to solve this annoying problem. There are no indications of Memory problems or HD problems.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds as if you are having to do the equivalent of a cold boot each time for it to fire up, although I don't have an answer as to why it should decide to fire up after 10 mins.

While this would probably require the attentions of the hardware guys on here, have you tried resetting the BIOS or checking for a BIOS update ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks the reply. It is a UEFI Bios, and there is an update available, so with trepidation I will update (I have had some bad experiences years ago with BIOS update fails!).
    Not sure what you mean by 'resetting'. I have tried altering various settings, including trying to make it 'Wake on alarm at a specific time'. Nothing there worked.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Resetting the BIOS to default can either be done by removing the CMOS battery (which could be coin shaped) for a couple of minutes or swapping jumpers around for about 5 secs depending upon the motherboard.

If you need to remove the CMOS battery, ensure that you don't hold the faces between your finger and thumb as you will be discharging it as one face is Pos. and the other is Neg.

I assume your computer was purpose built, so Googling for how to do that for your motherboard may produce some info on that, but as the BIOS tells Windows what to load - that may have become screwed somehow, so try resetting it to defaults first.

As you've had some bad experiences with BIOS flashes, a Google may also produce some info on that for your motherboard.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-28 at 15:54.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, have done a BIOS update (easier than delving into the MoBo). Will report back tomorrow if this fixed the problem.
    Things have come a long way since my last DOS based BIOS upgrades <smile>. All pretty painless.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotuku View Post
    OK, have done a BIOS update (easier than delving into the MoBo). Will report back tomorrow if this fixed the problem.
    Things have come a long way since my last DOS based BIOS upgrades <smile>. All pretty painless.
    They were before my computer time but they seem to have their own wizards now which simplifies the procedure.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's quite possible that it could be case power switch related as you have to pull the cord for an immediate fix and I should have seen this before, that if you had been switching the power off at the wall socket after each session as well, you wouldn't have had or even been aware of the problem.

When you switch off, the capacitors and RAM discharge (which they'll certainly do when it has been switched off for about a week) so that Windows and drivers are loaded afresh when you switch back on, but if the switch is defective and is allowing a "trickle charge", that could be sufficient to prevent that discharge but not enough to sustain a full power up and prevent shutdown.

Capacitors charge at the rate of 62.5%/cycle so I don't know why it takes three days for this problem to fully manifest to requiring the plug to be pulled.

There could be something in Event Viewer relating to improper shut downs, so it may also be worth checking in there, but if the BIOS flash doesn't do it then I would recommend fitting that new case switch.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-29 at 12:44.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well the BIOS Upgrade didn't solve the problem.
    I have never switched it off at the wall (too difficult to get down under the desk) so that is why I used the 'pull the cord at the back'

I don't think it is the switch, as that doesn't seem to fit the problems and work-around, but I will get around to changing it.

Event Viewer! Over the years I have spent hours trying to get rid of Event Viewer errors, drives ya nuts!

There are start-up event entries under Kernel-boot

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.

And tracking these via Google gives this page from ASUS Forum and with my same MoBo!!

http://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/in.../t-43206.html?

I note my Win installation is showing a Legacy BIOS (if I run msinfo32 at Command Prompt). I don't feel like the hassle of a new install is warranted. I think I will monitor the ASUS forum thread and see what crops up there as a solution

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I got to the end of the posts for 6th June in the forum and didn't come across the problem you have other that the fast startup error code.

When you leave the computer with the cord pulled, do you experience any startup problems - speed or otherwise ?

Check Event Viewer for date and time stamp for any errors immediately following your next startup from having the cord pulled.

If you don't get any of the original startup problems, this would confirm that the pc is still getting some power after you have shut down and switched off at the machine.

It could also be worth going to the mobo support site and downloading the Chipset/Video drivers and can you check Device Manager for any devices with a downward arrow next to them.

These will be devices that are disabled and right clicking on them and selecting Enable will fire them back up again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Start-up is normal but perhaps a little slower (a few seconds), as I guess the Hybrid Hibernate is not operational like after a normal close and start.

I hate Event Viewer <smile>

About 6 PERFLIB errors at almost all start-ups, whether cord pulled or not.
    I have installed the ASUS AISuite3 when I did the UEFI Bios update and that did some other upgrades and now shows all up to date

No devices disabled in Device Manager.

I'm getting a headache!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Does MS give anything on those PERFLIB errors when you click on the blue Online help link and what are the Event ID numbers ?

I think these are related to Network services but I'd have to do a bit more digging - tomorrow now, as it's 01.40 here in the UK.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Some Event ID Numbers 1008, 1023, and as Perfnet 2004 event ID, they occur as a bunch together.

Help Link all say PAGE NOT FOUND, but pasting the error message into MS does bring up some help.

Like this one from Administrative events
    Windows cannot load the extensible counter DLL rdyboost. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the Windows error code.

Leads to

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-7b7432b4c29b

With no apparent answers.

But I am not sure this has anything to do with my problem. I ran sfc /scannow and found nothing wrong.

Have a good nights sleep!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Had a good night's sleep - thanks

Were there any errors relating to improper shutdowns - usually Event ID 41.

The Performance Counter Library is a bit above my head but if some things aren't loading, then that can't be a good thing.

I eventually found the last post in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...rverManagement to rebuild the Library in Win 8/8.1 but the command would seem to be the same for all recent versions of Windows (XP - Win 7) that I'd found.

You could play around with http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html to see what it does for your start up times, but if you aren't getting the start up problems you were by pulling the cord after each session, then just continue doing that or change out the case switch.

The fact that they sent you a new case switch would suggest they had come across this problem before and perhaps the cases had defective switches.

I've borrowed this from CLiNT if you want to clear out your Event Viewer http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ick-clear.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-30 at 06:57.

Thanks

Kotuku
    I have been following this thread and just wanted to be double sure. This is an actual shutdown you are doing and not one of these newfangled W8 sleepy mode things.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried everything in the way of shut down. My 'normal' shut down is to use WinKey-X and select SHUT DOWN from the drop down list. I have tried SLEEP and HIBERNATE and computer still will not start without pulling the plug and waiting 10 minutes.
    I have tried a WAKE ON ALARM set from within the BIOS and it doesn't wake up. I have set a Task script to open Notepad.exe (just for something to do) at 5am and it doesn't wake and run that.

I will be swapping out the whole switch mechanism in the weekend, I will report back on that. I can't see that as a solution, as a faulty switch doesn't seem to fit the fact that it works perfectly if I( pull the plug (and no doubt discharge any MoBo capacitors).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast