New Lounger
    Thanks

Table cell width won't behave (Word97SR2)

Selecting an entire 14 column by 300 row table and cycling thru the Table > Cell Height and Width > Column > and setting a specific width for each column does NOT result in all rows having the same cell widths. Selecting the errant rows and stepping thru cells individually shows some with a stated width but no visible width (how can that be?), while two adjacent cells both use the value of one of them. Selecting an entire column, in some cases, selects no or multiple cells on some rows. All rows currently have 14 visible cells, apparently some merge/subdivde by prior author. Really want to salvage the 70 pages of data, spent hours experimenting and looking thru posts and FAQ's w/o solution yet. Suggestions most appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table cell width won't behave (Word97SR2)

Got it. Select entire table, in Tables > Cell Height and Width > Column > Columns 1-X specify some value which is different from any existing value and narrow enough that the table fits within the margins. Apply. This seems to reset everything, and gives even right margin. You can then either step thru the columns individually and size as you wish or use Bob Blacksberg's hint of holding down Alt key while dragging slider on ruler. ( http://www.techlawinc.com/WordofLaw/...w_issue_31.htm )

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Drankin:
    I'm glad you found a solution, but FYI, the fastest way to resize columns to margin in Word 97 is:
    1. Right-click & choose Cell Height & Width...
    2. Click the column tab (too bad it's not the default; most people modify column widths more often than row heights). Note that width is selected.
    3. Type a letter, like "a", "b", etc (no quotes), click the down arrow, & press enter.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Phil. My first "got it" self-reply was only partially correct. My problem is/was not simple resizing. The cells in question refuse to resize to the specified size, and the cell height/width tab shows more columns present than actually exist in the row. This is a simple n x m table, except that some rows show m columns but report m+1 (or maybe m+2) columns. As you cycle through "next column" the highlight disappears when it comes to the ghost cells. They paradoxically show a width even thou they are invisible and inaccessible. They prevent proper alignment of the visible columns. The ghost seems to add some small faction of its width to that of the visible cell immediately to its left. This is not a simple matter of a border not being visible, it is some corruption of the visible cell. I've discovered that I can kill the ghosts by locating a bad cell (i.e., a visible cell hosting a ghost), doing a "split cell" into two columns and then either deleting the second cell or merging the two back into one The cell(s) and row thus repaired will then respond properly to column or cell width commands. This cannot be a new problem, for I've seen it or similar variations many times on tables, especially those with a rough or multi-author history.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One way this can happen, particularly in a table where the 'default cell margin" (forget what it was called in Word 97) is set to zero, is if a column or even worse just an individual cell in a particular row, has been dragged to its narrowest possible width - you can end up with cells that are virtually invisible.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Attached is a sample table illustrating the problem. Thanks for the several suggestions, and for all I've learned from other posts, MVP articles, etc.

Dan Rankin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

For what it's worth, if the data does not have heavy paragraph formatting and the individual cells contain no paragraph breaks, converting the table to text (separated by tabs) and editing the aberrant rows manually, then converting back to a table should let you root out the extra columns. (If there are paragraph breaks, you can replace them temporarily with some otherwise unused character.)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by Phil Rabichow on 12-Dec-01 19:00.</P>Hi Dan:
    I took a look at your attachment. At some point, you adjusted the cells on some rows to be different than others & it appears that you merged some cells & split others. When you do that, it's difficult to make all the columns line up. You'll notice that when you select a column, it appears to select errant cells. When you don't have the same number of cells in each row, you can't make each column line up. You can either make columns line up until you have a jagged ending or you can resize cells so that the table becomes a uniform width, but the cells aren't.

I've added a copy of your table to show you what I mean.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Success! The eight tables spanning 300 pages in a spec document have been repaired.

J Scher has a good suggestion, I considered various conversion/restore or export/fix/import options. In this case the data is not regular enough to reliably do that.

Phil is quite correct that the problem arises from certain circumstances of cell splits, mergers, and width adjustments. I was dealing with the consequences.

Thanks again for the interest and responses. Dan Rankin