Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Finding duplicate and near duplicate Photos

With several terabytes of photos among which are thousands, at least, of near duplicate photos (different extensions, cropping, some other 'Photoshopping'), I am looking for a program, free or not, which can help me winnow out the true 'singles' or earliest instances of an image. The extensions which must be handled are JPEG, JPG, TIFF, NEF, CR2, PNG, RAW, PSD, GIF, PDF. I noticed that the last query was some years ago on this forum. Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Easy Duplicate Finder across a few HDDs including a NAS. http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some years ago I used a related product (same group) but the new versions have not met the grade. Newest version, for instance, does not do NEFs nor CR2s, which are important. What it does, it does well though. I agree.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I use Easy Duplicate Finder across a few HDDs including a NAS. http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/
    I also use Easy Duplicate Finder. But finding duplicate and similar photos is easier with its companion product, Duplicate Photo Cleaner. It detects photos that look alike based on a similarity threshold. Works great for me.

Thanks
    Nice thanks for posting that link. I just tried it out and after getting through the install where they wanted to install everything but the kitchen sink on my computer, I compared a desktop folder versus a OneDrive folder (desktop). It worked beautifully. Will have to keep playing with it but its got my attention.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I see no easy to find information about what is restricted in the trial version of these products. Anyone shed any light?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing is restricted --- but you can only use it for a few, rather small, searches before it freezes with a pitch for cash.

That said, yesterday I downloaded Easy Duplicate Finder, because it has been upgraded to handle the extensions I need plus it still allows for the designation of a MASTER folder(s). (These folders are not to be deleted), they are in my case the photos actually in my primary database which I really don't to risk getting zapped by error but definitely do want to be the standard of comparison for many of the gobs of pix floating around.

First comparison set at bit by bit comparison ran about 4.5 hours (WIN7 64 with 32 GB RAM) files scanned: 305590, original files: 49632; duplicates: 49800. One troubling lack is a means of selecting all those duplicates which are not inn the master set. That means whole bunch of clicks coming up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, there's a 10 'group' limit on the free version.
    What are the trial version limitations?

The trial version of Duplicate Photo Cleaner offers unlimited scanning for duplicates and similar images. You can then delete up to 10 duplicate groups with the trial version.