New Lounger
    Thanks

MIA apps store in Win 8.1

Hi everyone... new member here.

First, I'm not on the level as I'm sure most of you are in running PC's. What I know you could probably fit min a thimble. I'll do my best to explain my problem that makes sense and in a way you'll understand...

I bought an Acer Aspire AXC 603G PC, it has a celeron J2900 proc. 4gig mem. and 1 TB HD.

Everything was going well in getting used to the 8.1 format as opposed to XP's until I attempted to open and play the "Free" Freecell game (which I've done before many times). Coincidental maybe. The game stated it couldn't open, and I should open Apps Store for more info. Ok, I open app store and it too wouldn't open. Now I'm worried... my new PC is messing up already.

When I initially bought the PC I also bought the "All-in-One" 8.1 dummies book by Woody Leonhard. I've been trying to find a remedy why the app store disappeared... no luck yet. I'm not concerned about the card game, just want the PC working properly. Oh, I can't open a PDF file either, I get the same message referring me to the app store.

I came to find out on google that this problem has been on-going on since win 8. The fixes I came across sofar all refer to the missing app store after upgrading from win 8 to 8.1. The fixes that were outlined are well beyond my knowledge and learning the terminology alone would take me forever to grasp.

I haven't found out anything yet in the A-I-O book yet... until I came across Woody's website and here I am hoping someone could shed some light on this problem.

Now to the search files, maybe I'll have some luck.

All info would be greatly appreciated... Carl

Thanks
    Try running the apps trouble shooter, link is on the second line of this page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-problems-app

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry thank you for your input. The troubleshooters didn't offer any remedies... all is up to date. I can't figure what would cause the windows store to no longer work. Its very frustrating for me...

Thanks again.... Carl

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bad news. Bought two (wife and myself) identical Windows 8 on an HP Envy's and all was fine until we updated to Win 8.1, then some of the Metro Aps stopped opening. Actually, they open and closed immediately.

Was given SRX1244083260ID - Microsoft Answer Desk - Windows service request # 1244083260 on April 24. Worked with a Level 2 tech (Firos at number 800-936-5700) who for several days logged in remotely and worked on this issue, where Metro Apps (I.E. Kindle, Magic Jigsaw Puzzles, and others) would open and immediately close making these apps unusable.

Firos debugged my computer via Event Viewer, Regedit, App Cache & Temp, and Dism commands. Following are the Dism commands Firos had me to try on Denise’s computer, to no avail.

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

open powershell as administrator

((Get-ChildItem "HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ap px\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications") | Get-ItemProperty).Path | Add-AppxPackage -Register –DisableDevelopmentMode

After making no progress Firos recommended an in-place 8.1 upgrade and create a Microsoft Account vs. a Local Account. This of course cause me to lose all the ongoing apps data and install new. Then this only lasted a few days then the problem has returned. Went to the Microsoft Store and they had no clue but if I left the computers there they would resolve it, but that may mean factory reset. So we're not using those Metro Apps any longer.

If anyone ever gets a solution please post.