Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cloning software

Has anyone used EaseUS free todo backup or the free Disk copy for home use? I want to clone my HDDs so that if something happens, I can just replace the OS drive with a cloned drive (HDD will go into a USB 3.0 enclosure to be cloned) and it boots up.
    I used Casper, from Future Systems Solutions ( FSSdev.com) for years on my XP machines and it worked great (saved me a couple of times), but I went with Casper ver. 8 on all my win 7 Pro computers and my girlfriend got some malware so I thought I would just replace the HDD with the cloned HDD and it will not boot. According to casper support, casper 8 changed the boot drivers and they tried to fix it by me sending them the system file and they rebuilt it but that didn't work.
    So basically I am looking for a good cloning software now that I don't trust casper anymore.

Any help/info would be appreciated. Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Lumpy,

EaseUS ToDo Free will do what you want; however, I would uninstall any Nuance software (such as Dragon Naturally Speaking, etc.), Adobe Photoshop and perhaps Microsoft Office before cloning, lest you get a "too many installations" block upon switching to the clone (which will probably alter your hardware "footprint."

Zig

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Almost all the free backup products will clone disks, but I think you'd be better off buying one that does exactly what you want - after testing the free version. It's very cheap insurance.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...backup-program

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Zig, for the "Heads-up". I have photoshop and MS Office so I guess I better just forget about EaseUS.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2014-06-29 at 10:28.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul T, Looks like I'm going to have to do a ton of research to find a good cloning program. I was hoping that someone would know of one that I could use so that I could get by without having to have a boot disk.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    A boot disk is always recommended for cloning. As always, Windows want to stamp all over your new disk so backup / clone programs must get around this and a boot disk is the best way.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lumpy,

My warnings about uninstalling programs before cloning apply to ALL cloning programs; the limitation is in the other software manufacturer's policies.

Zig

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Lumpy,

My warnings about uninstalling programs before cloning apply to ALL cloning programs; the limitation is in the other software manufacturer's policies.

Zig
    I've never run into this problem after restoring a clone or an image backup unless installing on different hardware than the original clone was taken on.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,

Just my boot-and -suspenders approach - ESPECIALLY with Nuance products.

Zig

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Nuance products are definitely an issue.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I don't have any NUANCE products. I like the idea of cloning so that I can just replace the drive and have had excellent luck with Casper in the past but as with all things I guess, stuff changes and not always for the better. I'm having a tough time trying to find a good, trustworthy cloning program. They all say that they are the best, LOL.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you perform a sector for sector clone which means only to another drive that is the same size or bigger so it'll fit, they're all pretty reliable; which is to say I have yet to have a failure or inoperable software on the clone due to it's having been cloned. As mentioned earlier, it's "smart" cloning to a smaller drive or for use on dissimilar hardware that can be problematic.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The source HDD (C) is identical (size, manufacturer, etc.) to the cloning HDD. The only difference is that the cloning HDD is in a USB 3.0 enclosure. So if I understand you right, the EaseUS free todo backup or the free Disk copy for home use should both work ok.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used EaseUS ToDo for about 2 years or so now exclusively for more advanced dissimilar hardware restores, along with the occasional intelligent and sector by sector clone without any notable issues.

If you're cloning a GPT type drive instead of a MBR drive, the free version may indicate it won't work with that type of drive; depends on the limitations built into the free version of the program.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume that mine is MBR (Master Boot Record?), what is "GPT"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast