Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    GUID Partition Table; allows for a great many more partitions per disk and native addressing above 2.2 terabytes, but, more importantly now,it is the standard disk type for all OEM systems carrying Windows 8, no matter what the size. I prefer the simpler MBR myself and let my NAS devices handle all the three and four TB GPT disks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ahhh, thanks for the explanation. I guess mine would be MBR then, 1 TB and just sys reserved and C on it. So EaseUS should work ok then.

Thanks
    If one or both drives are either Maxtor or Seagate, you can get the free Seagate DiscWizard software:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/inter...ard-master-dl/

That's what I use. I have found it to be a solid, good product for cloning a disk.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, yes both HDD's are Seagate. I'll check out your link.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One tool not many mention is the Backup and Restore tool found in the Control Panel of Windows 7 ... It will create a system image for you ... but it's not a bit-for-bit copy ... so needs the Rescue CD to allow booting , to restore it ....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I prefer cloning a disk that boots up as a complete copy of when it was cloned.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Best programme for cloning is undoubtedly Acronis True Image.... also allows you to clone directly to different sized HDD's and to make images to restore from. I have used it in various versions since around 2006. Brilliant!
    It may cost a little, but it works the best!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I have heard of Acronis for many years but doesn't it require a boot disk to work?

Thanks
    http://www.xxclone.com/
    i've used this free product for years, trouble free. I can't recommend it high enough. unlike other programs, this one will let you reinstall individual files.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Acronis installs as a Windows programme. It can create an image whilst you continue working, but to clone a HDD to another, it requires a re-boot.... it re-boots itself, and the clone simply continues until complete, then the machine restarts (or shuts down as you prefer) leaving a perfect replica of your HDD on the second one.
    You can create an image on any location you can access with windows (obviously cloud would be a problem because of the size of the data - but there is actually an option fo that, too!) HDD Clone can be to internal or USB Drive (or eSata or others which I have not tried).
    Once you have created an image, it is quick to update as a backup, too.....

I Highly recommend!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh yes - Acronis also allows you to create either a boot disk or flash drive to recover from total disaster.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
    http://www.xxclone.com/
    i've used this free product for years, trouble free. I can't recommend it high enough. unlike other programs, this one will let you reinstall individual files.
    Almost all imaging programs will allow you to restore individual files - Acronis, Macrium, and Easus To Do are examples.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    AOMEI is a great clone/backup or whatever. But must make and use a boot disk.
    Acronis True image can work without a boot disk, but won't work at all on some older CPU's. You can get a free edition that works for 30 days.
    I had 15 XP laptops to install win7 on. Converted one to 7 and then cloned from that disk to the rest with AOMEI

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, after going back and forth with Casper support, it turns out that there is a setting in Casper options that has to be disabled to boot the USB drive internally. That means that I have to start from scratch and reclone. Hopefully this fixes the problem since I already paid for Casper. All I can do is try it and see.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well after 3 weeks of support back and forth with Casper, I finally found out what the fix is, so I will be staying with what I paid for. FYI, when you clone to a USB drive enclosure, Casper changes the driver load order and there is a setting that has to be unchecked to facilitate booting the drive internally on the computer. That setting is not mentioned ANYWHERE in their guide or literature.
    Thanks to all who offered their help and opinions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast