Lounger
    Thanks

MS Updates for Office 2007 but I use 2003

Why does MS keep offering me Important (Security) Updates for Office 2007 when I am using Office 2003? Do I need them for compatibility reasons? There's now 8 of them and they seem to be just an annoyance. Can I - should I - stop them?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why not just install them? Windows Update doesn't offer updates your computer doesn't need. You probably have the Office Compatibility Pack installed for later versions.

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce. I wondered if that was the reason but didn't want to clutter my computer with unnecessary stuff.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also note that all support from Microsoft for Office 2003 and Windows XP ended back in April.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, Berton. I've changed from XP to 7 but hadn't picked up that Office 2003 support had ended.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome. I didn't catch it for a few days myself. It will still work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you choose to update Office be aware that with Office 2010 and Office 2013 there is no longer an upgrade version. They are only full versions. If you need the Pro version it may be quite expensive. If you want to use Office 2013 I recommend you check the appropriate Office 365 subscription. Go to Welcome to the new Office for descriptions of both Home & Business subscriptions. If the web site is not updated yet be aware that the One Drive space for Office subscriptions is being upgrade to 1 TB per user. Also, for the Home plans you get a 16% discount if you pay for a year at a time. Microsoft is trying to make it attractive to switch to one of the subscription plans.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Libre Office (as recomended by windows secrets) and also have Ashampoo word processor that I use sometimes.I do not have any version of microsoft office installed yet I still get updates to late versions of microsoft office offered. I assumed that this may be because the office compatibilty pack may have crept onto my computer.

If I hunt it down I assume that it can be uninstalled without having any impact on Libre office or the Ashampoo word processor?
    Last edited by Rob100; 2014-07-01 at 05:55. Reason: minor correction

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anything with Microsoft Office uninstallation should not affect LibreOffice and may not affect Ashampoo.

There's several free applets from Microsoft that may prompt the issue you have such as the PowerPoint Viewer.
    https://www.google.com/search?noj=1&...51.j7eZ8pXb7WE

because the office compatibilty pack may have crept onto my computer
    That usually is installed when needing to view Office 2007 or 2010 documents in the older Office 2003 applications, have never seen it automatically offered to the user.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-07-01 at 10:39.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like you might have the Office Compatibility Pack installed. This allows you to open docx and xlsx files with Office 2003. The updates would be for that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. Yes I do have the Office Compatibility Pack so that answers my question. If only MS put that in the attached information it would be so much easier! Crying in the wind, I'm afraid.