Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question How to deal with a large backlog of "wait" patches -- Patch Watch

Now that I seem to have resolved my old problem, the inability to install SP1 for Windows 7 Home Premium, I want to catch up with a slew of old patches listed on Windows Update over a 2-3-year period.
    But wouldn't it be unwise to "brute-force" install all those old Windows 7 updates (and Office 2003, 2007 updates...) that now appear listed in my Important category?
    Whenever I would see a patch listed in Susan Bradley's "wait" category, I wouldn't install it. Trouble is, I wasn't able to keep up with all of the regular Patch Watch columns, and.... you get the idea.
    Is there anyone who is keeping the Patch Watch lists updated? A superlist, where when a patch no longer needed it's removed from the list when some other patch supersedes or overrules it?
    I'm guessing there isn't a superlist....
    But what happens if I now go into the items now showing on my Windows Update list-- some are 2 years old, maybe older -- and just start installing all of them?
    Thanks,
    JohnS0603

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's a Windows Secrets’ master Patch Watch chart (linked from the bottom of every Patch Watch column, just above the latest chart additions) ... but I would install everything.

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2014-08-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If you are reluctant to install many patches at one time just do a few at a time. I'd do the Windows patches first then the Office patches. Pick some number which does not make you flinch. Backup your system before you start. And maybe at some logical point during the process.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2014-08-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, BruceR -- by George, I don't know how I could ever have missed the link at the end of the Patch Watch column...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to try your sequence. This is very encouraging news!
    Many thanks, Joe