Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting rid of SlamDunk AdWare

I acquired a persistent case of Slamdunk adware/malware which inserted ads and popups at random places in web pages. To remove this annoyance, I did the following, but the ads continued:
    -Ran Revo Uninstaller to remove Slamdunk.
    -Deleted every instance of a file or folder with the words slam or dunk.
    -Searched and removed (using RegEdit) every Registry entry containing "slam" or "dunk".

Finally, when all that failed, I remembered that browsers have add-ons and extensions. I checked there, and discovered the culprit lurking in my Firefox. Removing that final hiding place seems to have solved the problem. (I also checked IE and Chrome, but they were not infected.)

How did I get the infection? Probably by installing reputable software (Secunia? PickPic?) but incautiously, without scrutinizing every single page to the bottom for any opt-in/opt-out clickboxes. You have to keep the old guard up every second these days....

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Two programs to bear in mind when dealing with Adware/PuPs and they are AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool - both of which can be accessed at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi cosmlou,

I’d be inclined to first try a free Malewarebytes (quickscan) – it finds most things and is safer than many similar tools. Download, install and update Malwerebytes (but untick the free trial of the full program).
    Download link (wait for the grey Save Box):
    http://filehippo.com/download_malwar...97c149f6652a8/

Occasionally you may find a few of the same items come back after a second (and third) scan and this proves something, somewhere, is regenerating the infection. When the Malewarebytes scan has finished it produces a text log, which includes the file path of each maleware item found. Use this log to note down the exact file path(s) so that this second tool below, KillBox, can be navigated to the item and permanently knobble it.

KillBox is really useful, particularly for killing such persistent maleware files and folders that keep coming back after being found and deleted by a maleware scanner. But be really careful with KillBox - it does exactly what it says on the tin so make sure the path you have browsed to is exactly to whatever file or folder you want to kill. The current version of KillBox does make a backup but I wouldn’t rely on that if I were you - it may or may not resurrect the killed file.

KillBox download link (wait for the grey Save Box):
    http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdow...56820/6ab3/4/1

Good luck, Chris
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. I do use Malwarebytes Free, but was thinking this SlamDunk thing would sneak by because I had "authorized" it (albeit inadvertently). Should have tried it first....

Thanks
    You can find step by step instructions for Slam Dunk removal here:
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/slamdunk-savings-removal/
    If you previously authorized Slam Dunk in the Malwarebytes, you can remove the authorization in the Settings panel under Malware exclusions or Web exclusions.

Jerry