Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Missing several Word functions

[Dell Inspiron 560 desktop; MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit; Windows Live Mail 2011; MS Word Pro 2003; Mozilla Firefox 22.0; Adobe FP 11,8,800,94; Adobe Reader 11.......]

I'm missing several functions in Word since a month or so, like copy/paste; fonts; size of fonts; change capital letters; auto completion of words, and a number of other functions which I remember only when I need them...which is frequently.

I did try finding them in the Toolbars and other things (by clicking on the upper space). I saw a long list of functions but not the ones I missed, so I marked "Standard" hoping it would bring the entire bar of functions but no luck...

Could anyone guide me to find them please? Thanks ever so much! Adela
    Last edited by Adela; 2014-06-30 at 16:40. Reason: Clarification.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Since you appear to be using Word 2003, your description suggests you've deleted a toolbar or two. Go to Tools|Customize|Toolbars and make sure the Standard and Formating options are both checked.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    What happens if you start Word in safe mode?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello and thank you Paul, but I don't seem to have a "Tools" button, and for some reason now, when I click on the empty space above by the 2 lines of (toolbars?) also called "Ribbon"?, it doesn't give anymore a list of functions, including "Standard" and "Format" as it did yesterday.

Do you happen to know why and how I can work around this? Thanks again! Adela

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Charles but I thought I'd first try going to the "Tools" if I ever find it... Adela

P.S. I wonder why I keep landing on the "Quick Reply" although I click on regular "Reply" within your post?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried the repair http://tipsforwordprocessing.com/word_2003_0050.html as it's probably too late to use your restore points to before this started happening.

If the repair doesn't work then you may need to reinstall it.

Can you remember if you downloaded anything around the time this started happening ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-02 at 16:09.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adela View Post
    I don't seem to have a "Tools" button, and for some reason now, when I click on the empty space above by the 2 lines of (toolbars?) also called "Ribbon"?
    There isn't a Tools button - it's a menu item located above the toolbars. Also, Word 2003 doesn't have the Ribbon - it has toolbars.
    You should also be able to make the Standard and Formating toolbars display via the menu item View|Toolbars.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you tried the repair http://tipsforwordprocessing.com/word_2003_0050.html as it's probably too late to use your restore points to before this started happening.

If the repair doesn't work then you may need to reinstall it.

Can you remember if you downloaded anything around the time this started happening ?
    Thank you Sudo for the link but...that page doesn't have any clickable words so I could reach the repair; and I can't find buttons like "Help", etc.

I keep downloading to a real minimum and I don't recall to have downloaded anything around the time this problem started.

It would be a shame having to reinstall the program since I did reinstall it and upgraded it to the next version a few months ago. So...thanks again! )

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    There isn't a Tools button - it's a menu item located above the toolbars. Also, Word 2003 doesn't have the Ribbon - it has toolbars.
    You should also be able to make the Standard and Formating toolbars display via the menu item View|Toolbars.
    Thank you again Paul, I went to View but it didn't show Menu or the long list of functions. It looks like I've lost more than one toolbar. I'll shut off the computer and reopen it to see if I get some toolbars back from which I could find the ones I originally lost (copy/paste; fonts; font size; etc. I'm embarrassed as I don't know what happened and what mess I might've caused? )

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you click on it in Programs and Features, does it have a Repair option ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adela View Post
    I did reinstall it and upgraded it to the next version a few months ago. So...thanks again! )
    What version are you now using? Everything that has been posted so far has been predicated on your first post's reference to Word 2003.
    I went to View but it didn't show Menu or the long list of functions
    You're not paying attention. I said:
    of course, this only applies if you're using Word 2003...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    What version are you now using? Everything that has been posted so far has been predicated on your first post's reference to Word 2003.

You're not paying attention. I said:

of course, this only applies if you're using Word 2003...
    Ohhhh I'm SO sorry! I was looking for the toolbars in my WLMail client instead of in Word 2003! I was able to follow your clear instructions and it's now fine with all the buttons needed!

Now, I wonder how I'll find the toolbars for WLMail2012, but I should probably go to the Microsoft email clients forum I guess.

Thank you so much, and thanks also for your patience! Adela
    Last edited by macropod; 2014-07-02 at 21:10. Reason: fixed broken quote

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo, and yes I went to Control Panel and found the repair option which I utilized. You gave me the correct instructions for my WLMail, but unfortunately the toolbars missing in my email client didn't appear with the repair. But as I mentioned to Paul, I better have Microsoft help me with their "creation" as I've taken more than enough time from you kind people. Thank you very much! Adela

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I found it and it applied to my WLMail email client. Thank you!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I inadvertently mixed up the answers? Please forgive, I'm a little confused but I hope you'll all be able to match the answers. So sorry.... Adela

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast