Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's the 32-bit that installs into C:\Program Files (x86), so I am assuming that the 64-bit will install into C:\Program Files
    True, but only on 64-bit Windows. The (x86) part is missing on 32-bit Windows.

Thanks
    True, Berton. It's been a while since I ran 32-bit Windows, so...

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Chuck:

I believe I know what you are asking.

The format for the shortcut is <program path and name> <filename>.

Therefore, the first thing you will need to do is to get the location of the .exe for whichever program you want to use to load the document in question.

There could be a few choices, such as Word 2007 vs Word 2010. You would have to search for the folder containing winword.exe; go to that folder and double-click on winword.exe; and then see which program opens. You will then know the full path and name of the program which will open the version of Word that you want.

For example, with Word 2007, it is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\winword.exe"

Now, to create a shortcut for a particular document, such as phonelist.doc, in the C:\info folder, you would put the following as your target:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\winword.exe" c:\info\phonelist.doc

For "Start in", you will put "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12"

From now on, phonelist.doc will always open with Word 2007 when you double click on that shortcut.

I do this whenever I create a shortcut for a particular website. Here's what I put for my email:
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" https://www.dotster.com/mail/

By using this shortcut for my email, I am guaranteed two things:
    1. I will always use Internet Explorer to open my email.
    2. A new browser window will always open for my email.

You put the path and program name for whatever browser you want to use, and then the desired website will always open with that browser, regardless of what is the default browser.

Thanks
    Jim, that will work...as long as the name of the program being sought is known. Within the Microsoft Office paradigm, that should be not too difficult. There are exceptions that have names that are not the same as the shortcut itself. Then the digging can be a bit tricky. I think there are programs besides "just" MS programs that use this same "advertised" shortcut structure, aren't there? Or is MS the only one? It seems I have seen this elsewhere.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you don't know the executable name use your favorite search engine to determine it.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... or start the program and get the executable name and full path from task manager process properties.

Bruce

Thanks
    Bruce / Joe / Jim,

Yea, that'll work [esp. task mgr and search engine]. It just seems that there has been a lot of extra work and restrictions incorporated for seemingly dubious results. Most often I can see and appreciate most of the changes and progressions that Microsoft has made. This one however, seems... The good news is, I suppose, that by the time I have tracked down the executables, I can get what I need -- which in effect is just using the prior shortcut method. Sigh...

Thanks guys for hearing me grump...
    Chuck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12