2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator Permission

I am going around in small circles and am in danger of disappearing up you know where, so I decided to to search the Win 7 Forum, the fount of all knowledge. I searched for "Administrator permission" but got nowhere, too common! If it's that common maybe a sticky answer could be included?

I am trying to copy files off a hard drive from a deceased laptop to my new laptop. No big deal I would have thought. I have copied many files from this drive using a USB gizmo that the bare drive slots into, not sure what the thing is called, but it works. The three partitions on the old drive are listed in Explorer as I, J & K. I can see all the folders, and the files in each one. When I try to copy the file to the new machine I get a pop-up, "You will need Administrator permission to copy this file". I am running as Administer, I'm it, and that's as far as I can get.

I found User Account Control Settings, changed the setting to "Never notify me", made no difference, Windows is in charge, nothing can go wrong...can go wrong...can go wrong...

So if running as an Administrator doesn't mean I'm actually running as an administrator how exactly do I get past this ridiculous impasse? How do I log-in as a REAL administrator, one with some clout? I've been around the world more times than I care to count and do not need Microsoft to save me from myself. Is there any way of getting rid of the pernicious "Feature" permanently? If not how about a work-around that will allow me to copy my files to my laptop?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2014-09-07 at 13:40. Reason: Additional information

Thanks
    Have you tried right-clicking on the Windows Explorer icon and choosing the option near the top of the menu which says "Run as Administrator"?
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When push comes to shove in a similar situation I boot to a Linux LiveCD or LiveDVD and manage file and Folder transfer, doesn't care who the Windows User/Administator is and most versions of the last few years work fine with NTFS-formatted HDDs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. I have tried right-clicking and Run as Administrator, doesn't make the slightest difference. I've searched the MS Website, found "How do I log on as administrator?" It says to use Control Panel > User accounts, and "If your account type is Administrator, then you are currently logged on as an administrator." You see what I mean about going around in circles?

Thanks for the suggestion to use Linux, I've never even looked at it. Doesn't it say a lot about Windows, and Microsoft, when the only way to make the OS do what you want it to do you have to use another OS? And an open source one??? I've reverted from Win 8, can't stand it, to Win 7, maybe I should go back to XP. That's a thought! Does anyone know if I could run in XP mode to do this copying?

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have to take ownership of the file(s) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/l.../cc753659.aspx but giving Everyone Full Control in Shared Access may also help.

Go Start - type regedit - press enter and accept the UAC (if you still have it enabled) then navigate -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\SharedAccess

Right click on SharedAccess and select Permissions.

Click on Add then type Everyone and select Full Control - OK

Close up the registry sections - File - Exit and see if you fare any better.

That isn't a typo \service es - the forum is putting that gap in services.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15.

I took a look at the link, went to the folder in question, then Properties. Under the 'General' tab the folder is marked "Read Only". I do not know why, I certainly set it that way. So I tried to remove the attribute. Wouldn't you know it I need Administrator Permission! So I went to the 'Security' tab. The Group or User name is Everyone. Under 'Permissions' everything is ticked, full control to read, write, modify, whatever I choose to do. Only I still can't do anything with the files in the folder.

So then I tried editing the registry step by step as you suggest. All seemed to be well, but when I tried to remove the Read only attribute I [I]still[I] can't do it, nor copy the file.

Does anyone else think that this is absurd? Or is it me?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    So are you doing this on the folder as a whole or on each individual file within the folder - generally, Read only is just for system files as far as I know or it could be to stop en bloc changing any of the folder's Properties to protect the files inside - but just guessing on that one.

Were you able to do anything after clicking on Advanced/Change Permissions or Effective Permissions ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was trying to copy a folder, which contains just four files. It is a sub-folder, the parent being in the root. I have been able to copy many other sub-folders from the same parent folder, however, I can't copy this one. I can do nothing with it, and for all my fiddling around nothing has changed. I think next step is to get a copy of Linux.

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have any problems with Linux, one of the other guys will be able to help you with that - just give a shout

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. Fingers are firmly crossed.

David