4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users

Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users
    By Mary J Foley

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-thresho...rs-7000031070/

So lets see, an operating system designed to appeal to Windows 7 users, or just use Windows 7? What to do?

On the other hand, it may be free to Windows 7 users, in which case I'll give it a try, but they lost my trust and goodwill with Windows 8, so it's going to be uphill for them even to get me to try it.

Thanks
    Hmm looks promising but I more than happy with my present configuration. I find Windows 7 beyond exemplary for my daily activities and I'm pretty sure that, for most of the Win7 and XP crowd that Windows (9 or Threshold) will be more of a want than a need. I was less than impressed with Windows 8 when it first rolled out and I continue to be amazed by MS's total lack of understanding on the simple differences between a smartphone/tablet and a PC. An OS designed for one should be different from the OS designed from the other. Anyways my rant aside, it looks like they are finally starting to get their act together for Windows 9, but only time will tell.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft told everyone, including the people who were previewing Windows 8, that Windows 8 would be great, and that we would love it, even though we were telling them that it wouldn't be great, and that we wouldn't love it.

Then they told us that they were improving it with Windows 8.1, and that they were adding a Start button, and it would be great, and we would love it. It was a little better, but not better enough to be good, and a button that takes you to the Metro page isn't a Start button, and we told them so, but they ignored us, and didn't answer our objections. It wasn't great, and we didn't love it.

Now they are telling that Threshold/Windows 9 will be great and we will love it. Excuse me for being skeptical.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That would still cause quite a stir it seems if it were free to Win 7 SP1 users; I have to think that's more rumor than possibility (wishful thinking for how contrite MS is after the Win 8 experiment).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If it were free to Win 7 SP1 users and there was an exceptional uptake - wonder if they would bring forward Win 7's demise from 2020, but wouldn't giving it away free to Win 7 users go against MS's grain for making as much money out of people as possible ?

I think that the more deeper we go into Windows upgrades, quite a lot of stuff like printers etc. are going to be left behind and people will need to decide whether to dump otherwise perfectly serviceable equipment in favour of a newer OS.

My Epson SX425W on installation needed an online patch just to make it compatible with Win 7 and is a great all-in-one, so I don't think I'll be going anywhere any time soon and 2020 will do me just fine.