Thread: dual boot

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

dual boot

I used to have Linux and W2000 on a system. I used Partition Magic to remove all the Linux drives. I have W2K on C: and trying to install W98 on D. Each time I install W98 on D:, after the reboot it says:
    Verifying the DMA pool data:
    It then lists a lot of files in D: that are missing or corrupted. and it can't find win.com to start windows. When I go to d: there is nothing there, but then E: has windows files in it. Then if I go to E:Windows and type in Win.exe it says that windows could not combine VxDs into a monolithic file before starting. Run set up again.

What am I doing wrong? I now can't even start W2K anymore.

--KZ

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: dual boot

I'm not sure that it is allowed to install Win 98 after Win 2000.

A good source is the MSFT Press Win 2000 Resource Kit.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Howard is correct : to do what you want, it's best to install Win 98 first. Read <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.asp> Q217210</A>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, thanks all. I'll just scrap it and start over. With a dual boot is it best to put the other OS's in a separate directory, or completely in a different drive letter?

--KZ

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Put them in a different partition (Logical Drive). This stops them interfering with each other.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Supposedly.

I have Win 98 on the C drive, Win 2000 on the F drive.
    IE 5.5 in both.

When I upgraded to IE 5.5 in Win 2000, files in the IE on the C drive were updated, but not the corresponding files of the F drive.

Somehow, Win 98 and Win 2000 seem to execute the correct version of IE, I know not why/how.

MSFT installl software stinks!

Such software has no business modifying files on other than the folders/drtive in which the current OS is registered.

I saw a similar thing happen wit hOffice a few years ago. The install program went snooping around drives and found old versions of Office.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Howard
    Sorry I'm not sure what you're saying (apart from the MS opinion). Your paragraphs seem contradictory.
    In my case, XPP runs IE6, Win 2kP runs IE6 (had to be done separately) and Win 98SE is stil running IE5.5.
    None of the installatioms of IE had any effect on the others.
    On your system I assume you have unique Program Folders for each OS?
    I also have two distinct versions (in the same logical partition) of MS Office, though the main Directories have different names.

Rgds

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You are usung IE 6, I an using IE5.5.
    It was clear that installing IE 5.5 in Win 2000 affected IE 5.* in Win 98, on different drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When I fisrt installed IE5 and 5.5 in my dual boot Win98/2K system, IE was installed on each drive with the correct version. I was running 5.5 in 2K and 5.0 in Win98, everything worked as it was to. BUT, when using the Office toolbar in Win2K ,I would get IE 5.0, well, I remembered that I have installed Office over it's self when I installed Office with 2K. The icon was linked to IE 5.0, on the C drive. Also one needs to check any other icons and links that one made to see which copy of IE thay are linked to. Any of the icons and links that were setup by the install will be linked to the correct version.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

My setup had everything in separate boot partitions and directories. I never install Office or IE or certain other products over the previous installation.

Obviously, the links, shortcuts, etc.are working correctly, but the install of IE in Win 2000 did affect the IE directories for Win 98, even tho IE was installed in its own directories in Win 2000.