Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    dsf
    Yet another reason to avoind online banking. And of course if one lies one must remember what lies one tells(oh what a tangled web...) The really bad thing is that these 'security questions' are being utilized to allow people access to accounts for which they have 'forgotten' the passwords.
    I put my ficticious answers right next to my password in my master list so a lotta good it would do me if I lost my list but at least the answers are set to something nonresearchable.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan,

A topic I'd like to see discussed in Part 2 of this article is the use of Microsoft's Security Compliance Manager (although it seems limited to Win7, which is fine by me).

How do you feel about the group policy security settings applied locally by the tool LocalGPO.msi included with the Security Compliance Manager? Are they adequate? Too much for most users? Any that should be tweaked?

Also, where does the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer fit into the picture?

While I recognize you are not in the business of providing legal advice, the American Bar Association has recently amended its Model Rules of Professional Conduct concerning confidentiality of client information to include electronically-stored information. I'd like to use the results of your research to develop an internal office policy concerning what steps constitute "reasonable efforts" and "due diligence" necessary to secure client data on office workstations.
    Last edited by wu_saline; 2014-09-01 at 11:49.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wu_saline View Post
    ... Microsoft's Security Compliance Manager (although it seems limited to Win7, which is fine by me).
    Nothing more recent than Windows 7 existed when the article you linked to was published, but SCM is also available for Windows 8 or later and server editions :

Setup Requirements
    The supported operating systems and requirements to use SCM include:
    •Windows® 7 and Windows® 8 or later

Microsoft Security Compliance Manager (SCM)
    What's New in Recommended Security Baseline Settings for Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, and Internet Explorer 11

(It appears that SCM is designed to be used by enterprises using Active Directory Domain Services; not intended for home or small business use as far as I can see.)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-09-01 at 14:21.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The link from the Win7 article directs you to the updated SCM3 that includes Win8.1 etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123