Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 - Libraries are there but not in WMP

Hello -

I've found the easy method to bring back the libraries in Windows Explorer if running Win 8 or 8.1. There are actually two spots in Explorer where you can return the Libraries to their former glory. They've been defaulted off as so many of us have found out. So if they're missing, do a Google and you'll find how easy it is to turn them on.

But...

Even though Library Folders inside the Windows Shell are turned on via Windows Explorer, they are not turned on or available to choose from in programs like Windows Media Player. This means that if you want to use the Windows Library folder for "Music" as a source for the Windows Media Player library, you're out of luck. Which is too bad because it's a real useful feature to have.

So, dear experts, who can show me (us) how to reveal the Windows Library folder structure in an application program like, Windows Media Player. In WMP, there are no "settings" to do this. By the way, I have another media player by the computer's manufacturer that exhibits the same behavior. Try to see the Windows Library folders in the app, not there. I'm betting it's some kind of registry edit....

Hoib

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    WMP.jpg
    Do you get this information on the left side of WMP's window? Instead of Library yours may have your name at the top of the list.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. These Libraries are confusing. There is one "Library" for Windows, a general collection point for various file types. And, there is another "Library" formed and structured by WMP that's separate and unique from the Windows Library.

@Berton: This is not a problem with the WMP Library. But, it is a problem with WMP not showing the Windows Library object in the Add Music picker window.

@BruceR: On that cite, it's at Step 2 that we're failing. The cite doesn't state whether or not the Windows Library should be evident in the picker window, in the picker window left nav, along with your drives, networked resources, etc. I think the Windows Library object should be available as it is on other Windows/Microsoft products. And it's absent.

Does someone here have a Win 8.1 system who could try to "Add" from the Windows Library? I don't happen to have another one around. Tell me what you see. Is the Windows Library offered as a choice in the picker window? Maybe it's a flaw in WMP.

H

In order for me to pick from my carefully crafted Windows Library, I have to have the Library showing in the picker window, after I've pressed "Add".